Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2012, 12:15   #1

Boqueron PR

Interested In any feedback on Bahia de Boqueron PR. Anchorage, stores. etc.
stella maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 12:45   #2

Re: Boqueron PR

Arriving from the DR I checked in at Boqueron. Didnt spend too much time there though as it felt like a pretty open roadstead. A pesky Snook kept coming up to our friends boat for some reason, they finally speared the 15-20 pounder and we ate it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 13:01   #3

Was it a nice anchorage. I am thinking of spending time. My son son is in the Coast Guard stationed in Aguadilla and does not look there.
stella maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 05:21   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The anchorage is pretty open, but protected from the tradewinds. It might be interesting there during a cold front when the westerly winds come through. A swell can easily get through/around the couple of reefs on the outside of the anchorage.

Many boats spend a lot of time there, so the anchorage isn't real bad.

Be aware that this town and beach are party central Thursday-Sunday. If you haven't heard Puerto Ricans partying yet, you may be shocked. The music and noise is so loud you will not be able to sleep. Even with earplugs. The hull of your boat will be pounding like a bass drum from being assaulted with unbelievable levels of music.

But don't worry too much, because it all winds down around 3-4am and doesn't start again until sunset - so you have plenty of time to sleep then.

Unless jet skis using your boat as a part of a slalom course bothers you.

The "town" itself is solely dedicated to catering to the partiers. 90% of the "stores" are bars and the rest souvenir shops. There are a couple of restaurants. The town is zipped up tight Sunday-Wednesday. A restaurant or two may be open, but everything else is shuttered up and locked down.

If you are arriving to PR, don't check into PR through Boqueron. That used to be standard practice (take a taxis to Mayaguez), but in the past few years, customs has been causing lots of problems and fining people. Check for more current info on this because these things change frequently.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 05:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See also, PUERTO RICO CRUISING GUIDE by Frank Virgintino
Puerto Rico Cruising Guide

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 06:51   #6

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

stella maris, Be advised that after 60 days in PR waters, the Hacienda (read PR IRS) may want you to participate in their boat registration scheme, which, oh by the way, includes having antied up a 7% sales tax prior to registration fees. My wife is Puerto Rican and I asked her to research PR registration as best she could. It seams that no single entity had the answers, typical bureaucracy. They aren't terribly efficient, except when it coms to seeking money. Beware and be informed!! gts1544
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 06:55   #7

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

stella maris, More than one way to skin a cat!! Here is the text of my wife's e-mail.

I called the PR Dept of Natural Resources with reference to to our boat.

1st the person I talked to did not know about balls but he did know about boats

This is what he said. After 60 days in Puerto Rican waters any vessel needs to
be registered and here is what you need to get it registered:

1. Documentation: Certificate of Registration (Like what we have from the US Coast Guard)
2. Certification of having paid taxes IVU (7% of price)
3. Certificate indicating you have done your PR Taxes or a certificate from Hacienda that you do not owe anything.
4. Your social security number (If the boat is in both our names then we both have to provide our SS#'s)
5. A current ID Card with picture
6. Depending on size you must get a Stamp from a Colecturia for (a 40 ft boat = $300.00) One time per year.

These documents are only a one time thing. Once you have them you do not have to provide them every year.
You do need your Comprobante from the Colecturia for $300.00 and you are on your way.

He then gave me another phone which I called and left a message and nobody answered yet.

Oh! and all of these documents can be provided to the Puerto del Rey Marina and the phone is 787-860-5548.

I will call tomorrow there and see if anyone is familiar with balls in these waters...

Love you,
Becky

WARNING: This e-mail is a suspected phishing scam.
gts1544
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:31   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

The grocery store is quite a hike and there is no ATM in the town either, which is surprising considering the number of bars.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote