Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 19:04   #61

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Bahamas entry fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
No, just saying that if they have raised the fees they have not updated the website. I checked into Bimini in May, 2012 and was charged $150 at 34'.

While there I did hear about several Customs Officers being fired and charged for pocketing cruising fees and let's be honest - corruption is something that is pervasive throughout the world and the Bahamas is far from immune.

Until somebody here comes up to say they have definitive proof the policy has changed I just consider this another rumor. I'll still have $300 handy on my next visit though - just in case.
In May of 2012 they had not yet changed the fees. They have been changed since then. I did give the phone numbers to get the "definitive answer". Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 01:55   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

The Bahamas are signatories to the UN Convention. I do have the documents as a pdf if anyone is too lazy to look them up, PM me and I'll send you a copy.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 15:25   #63

Boat: 35' Canadian Northern

Thanks Cheechako. several folks have suggested the engine problem idea. I will just do that and hope for the best

Skip
misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 03:54   #64

What are the various entry points opinions of permanent swim platforms, bow sprits and folding ladders that extend a little when folded. Can a true 30' 11" hull with any of these get by with $150?
CruiseEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 04:26   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It would depend what your rego papers say. not sure is totally fixed at 30'. Or not.

My catamaran is registered as a pontoon boat in Michigan. MI required you to measure the deck length and register that length for a pontoon. so my 34' cat is then 25'8" on the rego. this is also short enough to be covered by most homeowners liability as well.
Old 30-04-2013, 05:19   #66

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

They will almost surely use the length listed on your boat documentation. They have never come to inspect our boat, and when I have heard of times cruisers have had customs at their boats, I've never heard of the length being scrutinized due to swim platforms, dinghy davits, etc... (this can be common at marinas for dockage fees, however). FYI, Bimini has continued to charge at the old 35' cutoff...I can't guarantee that will continue, so boats over 30' should be prepared to pay the $300 cash.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 09:58   #67

They will go by the documentation or registration on the size of your boat. Swim platforms,etc are not counted unless the boat manufacturer lists it that way. We go every year and have never paid the $25 departure fee to leave the Bahamas unless you are going by air travel.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas