Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2017, 08:27   #31

Re: Another ICW vs Ocean Question

Excellent advice!!!
CaptainBullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 09:58   #32

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The real problem is that so many on the entrances have a real long in/out that it eats a lot of the saved time of going outside. And going outside still needs to time the entrances for tides and current and this is harder from outside travel than inside.

In the end it just depends on the forecast and where you are at the time that you can make a choice.
This is an excellent point. In addition, you can sit for days waiting for favorable weather to head out. You sort of have to play it be ear and adjust your plan as you go depending on local knowledge of the next leg and the forecast.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 11:22   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
With a 6' draft you're probably going to go aground once or twice if you don't have prior experience on ICW. Situations where it's an issue:

1. Some of the winding parts that thread through wetlands have a fairly narrow channel, and that channel is maintained for the path of commercial tugs and barges...it's a serpentine channel with wide turns. Drive your boat like it were a barge (vs heading straight from marker to marker) and you'll stay in the channel.

2. Where ICW's canals and winding backwaters meet bigger open water and multiple channels and markers it can be confusing and there are often temporary markers due to shoaling. Pay attention at these crossroads and transitions.

3. At inlets. Where the ICW crosses close to inlets to the ocean, particularly in the Carolinas, the shoaling can be severe and more important, ever changing. Seek local knowledge (SeaTow will respond on 16 and give you the lowdown on the area you're asking about.)

Ultimately you need to be vigilant, but it's entirely doable. If I were you I would probably stay in the ICW and make outside hops to avoid some of the Carolina stretches, particularly around Myrtle Beach and the Rockpile. Going up in March there will be a fair amount of traffic which is good; you can see people going aground in front of you, lol.
An excellent post, with advice applicable to many other areas of the world where similar (usually shorter) routes exist.

Jim
Old 16-11-2017, 11:36   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascadeThumper View Post
Accidentally bumped the send button. Powerboat about 36 to 40 feet. Anyone have suggestions for expanding on this fantasy. I have a bit of knowledge around the PNW and AK, but zero on the eastern side....and the Carnival Cruise ship to the Caribbean just got me a sunburn and 10 pounds.
Thx
I am from the PNW and have done much of the eastern seaboard waterway. Personally, I would buy as small a boat as I could live with, within reason, or at least focus on shallow draft. Very doable and could be fun. Many historical places to visit including the capital etc. Focus on a boat that is bought cheap and or readily resellable.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw