Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2015, 10:31   #1

8 Weeks of Paradise Advice

Hi CF Community,

My girlfriend and I are in the dreaming/early-planning stages of an 8-week (6/1 - 7/26) Caribbean sailing adventure. I'm 50, and I've two decades of experience exploring islands in the Pacific Northwest. I've owned a Hunter 41 for over a decade. (A Hunter 340 before that.)

My only experience in the Caribbean is a crewed catamaran charter around the BVIs in 2005. This time I'd like to bareboat with just the girlfriend and possibly short-term, fly-in guests.

We're looking for your sage advice to get us started? Here's a list of initial questions:

1) Where do we find reliable, sage advice? ;-) Seriously, my apologies if there's a better forum for these questions...

2) Would you recommend any books/videos for us?

3) Given the dates we have in mind (6-1 to 7/26,) what's a recommended, leisurely itinerary? (We're not stuck on the BVI's; anywhere would be fair game.)

4) Probably the hardest question of all: Where are we going to find an inexpensive sailboat for 8 weeks!? (Something similar to my old Hunter 340 would be more than adequate for the two of us, I think.)

We really appreciate you all helping us get started!

Best regards,

Michael :-)
Seatalk206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 10:38   #2

Re: 8 Weeks of Paradise Advice

Not sure where you will find a boat reasonable for that long. It's a chartering nitche someone should fill as it comes up often. But given your dates I would consider further south as it's hurricane season. Grenada, the Cays etc might be good.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 06:46   #3

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

That sounds like a fun adventure. I know this place provides vessels for long term charter http://longtermcharters.com
Inexpensive, suitable vessel for 8 weeks at a reasonable price would seem to be quite a challenge but I do wish you well. Insurance will be an issue from a private owner. Most won't have commercial insurance to cover your use/rent. You might try and run your idea past some of the third tier charter companies in the BVI.

Beyond that perhaps Craigslist in this area.

You are planning your trip on the edge of hurricane season and will have to have very good up to date weather information with a plan of action in case of severe weather.

Between the BVI, USVI and SVI there are many areas to enjoy within a day sail.

Good luck and please report back here to tell us what you find as this subject comes up repeatedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 04:49   #4

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Its off season. There are lots of smaller charter companies that could give you a deal. I would talk to Horizon in Jolly Harbour. They have half a dozen boats just sitting there.hurricanes are always a possibility but in July not likely.

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?