Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 14:03   #1

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34ft
Winter Storage in the UK or Northern France

We are in the planning stages of a 2014 cruise from the USA to the UK/France.

Our tentative plans are to make an Atlantic crossing in the summer of 2014, spend a one to two months cruising the UK and then over winter the boat in either the UK or France.

Does any one have any recommendations as to where to keep the boat during the winter? As with most people cost is something of an issue.

Thanks
NeilW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 12:05   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Winter Storage in the UK or Northern France

Neil,
You should first clarify whether you intend to stay aboard (probably meaning afloat) during the winter.

In my marina (South Brittany), the monthly fee from October to March is 180€ for a boat between 10.0m and 10.49m LOA.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 12:07   #3

We are looking for a place to leave the boat on land, while we return to the USA for the winter.
Old 24-09-2013, 12:23   #4

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

This is the place where I put Hydra on the hard for a few days every year: http://www.billie-marine.com/image/document/art-4/tarifs-manutentions11-12.pdf

On the Channel and Atlantic coasts of France, there are many other boatyards that store yachts during winter. Just google "hivernage" "bateaux" in French language. Of course, you will have to understand French

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 14:06   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
This is the place where I put Hydra on the hard for a few days every year: http://www.billie-marine.com/image/document/art-4/tarifs-manutentions11-12.pdf

On the Channel and Atlantic coasts of France, there are many other boatyards that store yachts during winter. Just google "hivernage" "bateaux" in French language. Of course, you will have to understand French

Alain
It's cheaper in France than on the S Coast of England, generally half or less. I would do it there.

The cruising is superlative there, too.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 12:13   #6

Boat: Gitana 43
France is cheaper than south coast uk, but that's relative as you'll find both pricey after the USA. Think of the range of prices you'd find in states and change the dollar sign for a pound sign and you're pretty much there.
Aquarius74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 13:06   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius74
France is cheaper than south coast uk, but that's relative as you'll find both pricey after the USA. Think of the range of prices you'd find in states and change the dollar sign for a pound sign and you're pretty much there.
I'm not sure I would agree with that. Paid $110 a night with elec in a fairly carpy, isolated marina last March in SW Florida for a 37 foot boat. About $70 on Naples Town Dock. Top price in UK for a 54 foot boat is about 65 pounds or a bit over $100. In nice town quays like Weymouth it's 42 pounds or $70. That's a 54 foot boat, not 37, so much cheaper than Florida.

And France is about half UK - 40 odd euros in Cherbourg, best and most expensive marina in Atlantic France. 20-something in other places, including gorgeous Audierne.

Berthing is definitely cheaper. Other things - maybe not.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 25-09-2013, 23:22   #8

Boat: Gitana 43
I'm currently paying £220 per month storage ashore in a good marina in central location on the east coast of England for a 43 footer, how's that measure against USA prices?
Aquarius74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 00:56   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilW View Post
We are in the planning stages of a 2014 cruise from the USA to the UK/France.

Our tentative plans are to make an Atlantic crossing in the summer of 2014, spend a one to two months cruising the UK and then over winter the boat in either the UK or France.

Does any one have any recommendations as to where to keep the boat during the winter? As with most people cost is something of an issue.

Thanks
Biscay France and NW Brittany have a wide range of options for good value wintering, but you will find that speaking some French is desirable. More English speaking are Cherbourg and Roscoff, on the north coast of France (you'll soon find the pages and links to further info on that site)

UK is around 25% more costly on average for shore storage . . . but there are wide variations.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:17   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
Biscay France and NW Brittany have a wide range of options for good value wintering, but you will find that speaking some French is desirable. More English speaking are Cherbourg and Roscoff, on the north coast of France (you'll soon find the pages and links to further info on that site)

UK is around 25% more costly on average for shore storage . . . but there are wide variations.
Some French language is desirable even in Cherbourg and Roscoff! Brittany and Normandy are pretty remote areas, and I have found that surprisingly little English is spoken there. But people are extremely friendly and helpful, so communication is usually achieved one way or another.

Charges vary a lot, but my feel is that like for like is half or less in France, not 25% less.

For example, my boat, 54 feet length on deck, costs about 1000 pounds ($1600) a month to store ashore on the Hamble. In Cowes (which is a terrific value in the winter time), it costs about 300 pounds a month (about $500), and the lifting and blocking up is one-third the price compared to the Hamble.

In Chantereyne Marina in Cherbourg, probably the premier marina of the French Channel ports, it costs 360 euros per month. Lifting and blocking up is 265 euros out, and the same again to put back in.

In Roscoff, I could have a whole year's marina berthing, on a walk-on pontoon with water and electricity, for only 3,418 euros, including winter storage ashore.

In smaller ports, this will all be much cheaper. In L'Aber Wrach', for example, I would pay only 846 euros for three months of hardstanding, and only 192 euros for lift or launch.

So France is really much cheaper. Note this is all for a 54 foot boat displacing 25 tons!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:08   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Try my marina. Fox's Marina

It's on the East Coast of the UK, One of the last full service yards left in existence in the UK. Oyster and Gunfleet yachts are commissioned here. Work on your own boat, no problem. Indeed, a spectacular home built Van de Stadt 53' is going to launch this week and head off for the Canaries and then to Greenland next summer.

The staff and the customers are very friendly and helpful. There is a convivial yacht club/bar on site. It's also a lot cheaper than England's South Coast.

Communications are pretty good, Stansted Airport is an hour or so away. Car hire within walking distance. Mainline train services, London in 53 minutes. All the resources of a large town at hand. Admittedly the supermarket is bit of a trek...

The sailing's pretty good round here too, but you need to get your head round the fact that you can be 20 miles offshore and still run aground!
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 16:54   #12

Boat: Heritage 35

New Ross boat yard New Ross Ireland. 2nd year for kalinka1 wintering on the hard about 1200 euro's haulout, bottom wash, engine flush, cradle, secure yard launch in the spring.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 15:37   #13

Boat: 15ft Double-ended Lugger

I believe that Chateaulin on the Rade de Brest allows free winter tie-ups. Contact the Mairie, I'll get contact details if you want. There is a huge wooden boat festival about 20 miles away in mid July too.
Old 05-12-2013, 15:46   #14

At our marina storage on the hard runs about $10/ft once you include the haul out and launch. This is for 6 months (October to March). So about $400 for a 40 ft boat or $66/month (£42)

It gets more expensive in places like Florida, but a good in water berth close to a major city like Tampa will cost about $10/ft per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius74 View Post
I'm currently paying £220 per month storage ashore in a good marina in central location on the east coast of England for a 43 footer, how's that measure against USA prices?
Old 05-12-2013, 15:50   #15

Thanks for everyone's input. Lots to think about. I guess if I want to save money I better brush up on my school boy French.

Merci!

Tags
France, storage