Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2014, 01:02   #1

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
VAT Exemption Certificate

Now in Sicily and planning haul-out in Malta next spring. Boat yard has asked if we have a VAT Exemption Certificate. Then we ordered a few boat items from UK and they also asked if we have a VAT Exemption Certificate. We are a USA flagged and documented boat and USA citizens; boat has not and will not be within EU waters for 18 months so is not and will not be subject to VAT.

Can anyone shed light on whatever this VAT Exemption Certificate is and how one obtains it? Did not think we needed any special paperwork since will not be within EU territory all that long.

Thanks in advance,

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 01:10   #2

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: VAT Exemption Certificate

Yes you get that from the Costa guardia that was the form I was trying to think of in my previous post to you Judy I got mine of them in fummicino
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 01:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Now in Sicily and planning haul-out in Malta next spring. Boat yard has asked if we have a VAT Exemption Certificate. Then we ordered a few boat items from UK and they also asked if we have a VAT Exemption Certificate. We are a USA flagged and documented boat and USA citizens; boat has not and will not be within EU waters for 18 months so is not and will not be subject to VAT.

Can anyone shed light on whatever this VAT Exemption Certificate is and how one obtains it? Did not think we needed any special paperwork since will not be within EU territory all that long.

Thanks in advance,

Judy
you need to go to the customs and get a TIP,temporary import permit,this is issued initially for 6 months,then can be renewed for up up to 18 months.

what they mean by a vat exemtion certificate would be your tax recipt to show you have paid vat on the vessel,which does not apply to you unless you over stay the TIP period
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 01:20   #4

Funny thing is the Costa guardia do this now as I got mine in April from them
Old 25-09-2014, 01:39   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

The Corpo delle Capitanerie di porto - Guardia costiera is the port captain and the coast guard. They are part of the Italian Navy..
Strange they should issue this but not impossible.
The Dugane is the customs department who should technically sort out any temporary imports.
Then you have the Guardia di Finanza
ie the IRS who police anything foreign .
Its all quite amusing ...
Old 25-09-2014, 01:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Funny thing is the Costa guardia do this now as I got mine in April from them
could you be more specific about the Italian documents name for sv bebe,so they know what to ask for when visiting the guardia,thanks
Old 25-09-2014, 02:09   #7

Ok this may be a bit long winded but I had already clear yacht into Italy in December 2013 at fiumincino port police checked all papers and issued and stamped a couple (and still haven't had passport stamped) then on April the 12th I went to custom to say I wanted to import a AB 3.5 aliuminium dinghy along with 15hp outboard, I was then in formed to go to Gardia di financia (all this took place in Porto di touristico Marina ostia ) I give them a copy of purchase order they copy stamp etc take note of ship registration and then advised me to once dinghy and engine arrive to re do my ships stores ie amend to include them and represent it . I then go to costa Gardia with there papers and they then issued me with 2 forms one which some how had all the engine and dinghy details on it the other form was for if I make any further purchases I had to present this to either place of purchase or to customs ie at airport etc take I had too keep reciepts attached to this and also to amend ships stores .

Now I have been stopped 4 times in past 3 months by the Gardia di financia and as soon as I showed the tax forms they where gone no probs
Old 25-09-2014, 02:44   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Having lived in Italy for 20 years I would advise asking in English for any documentation as there are a LOT of ignorant civil servants in that part of the world and they are a lot more civil to Visitors. If you do speak Italian it almost always ends in a screaming match
Been stopped lots of times and everybody tells you something different.

Never imported my boat that I bought in Croatia just put a UK SSR number on it and for 15 years no bother at all
Not saying thats what anybody should do but ......
Old 25-09-2014, 02:58   #9

I will say this about the Italian authroities they have all ways been pleasant and HELP FULL and a vast majority of the young ones in there 30's speak good English I have sat many a morning in the Marian ostia at the cafe having a coffee with them they are like clock work 7.00 they come in and have a coffee or two for at least an hr then go off and burn about 500 ltrs of fuel in there patrol boats twice a day
Old 25-09-2014, 03:25   #10

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Having lived in Italy for 20 years I would advise asking in English for any documentation as there are a LOT of ignorant civil servants in that part of the world and they are a lot more civil to Visitors. If you do speak Italian it almost always ends in a screaming match
Been stopped lots of times and everybody tells you something different.

Never imported my boat that I bought in Croatia just put a UK SSR number on it and for 15 years no bother at all
Not saying thats what anybody should do but ......
Strange you should say that. It was my impression as well when we lived in Italy. They seem to go out of their way to help foreigners, but won't for their own or anyone who spoke Italian. Yep, I have had shouting matches with Italian dogana, and won. Don't try that in France, Switzerland or the US.
Old 25-09-2014, 03:48   #11

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Thanks to all who have answered thus far. To be clear -- this is not about VAT on our boat. This is about VAT Exemption Certificate for work performed on our boat or purchases made for our boat while in EU countries. My original posting was unclear. This whole thing is unclear to me. I had no idea that there was any way to have boat work performed or to import or purchase boat related items and not have to pay VAT. But both the boat yard and the UK vendor asked us for the same document = VAT Exemption Certificate.

There is a Guardia di Finanza office here near the marina but it has been unoccupied each time I have walked by there so far.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 03:56   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Thanks to all who have answered thus far. To be clear -- this is not about VAT on our boat. This is about VAT Exemption Certificate for work performed on our boat or purchases made for our boat while in EU countries. My original posting was unclear. This whole thing is unclear to me. I had no idea that there was any way to have boat work performed or to import or purchase boat related items and not have to pay VAT. But both the boat yard and the UK vendor asked us for the same document = VAT Exemption Certificate.

There is a Guardia di Finanza office here near the marina but it has been unoccupied each time I have walked by there so far.

Judy
there is no such thing as a vat exemtion certificate,what he is referring to is your TIP or temporary import permit.
Old 25-09-2014, 04:00   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: VAT Exemption Certificate

Not had any experience of Italy but its in the EU... from what I read you need to save all receipts for goods purchased/work done relating to the boat... then before you leave you go to the Port Customs office and get a VAT claim form.. this you fill in and submit with all the receipts your claiming for (keep copies).
Usually within 3 months of your form going in the VAT you paid appears in your account..
2 owners have done this when collecting and fitting out new boats in France then buying goods and services in Spain/Portugal...
Should add.. you do not hand this form back in till your last port before leaving the EU when its mailed back to the issuing port.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 11:19   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
there is no such thing as a vat exemtion certificate,what he is referring to is your TIP or temporary import permit.

EU VAT laws specifically allow for a VAT excemption form. It is issued to a qualifying person to demonstrate that the activity they are engaged in is a except from VAT and hence suppliers may legally zero rate their supplies even though the purchase is taking place in the country.

The thing is, EU VAT law does not recognise a leisure boat as being VAT exempt, this only applies to commercial vessels engaged in trade. Ive never seen one in relation to a yacht. I wonder are your suppliers used to dealing with ships.!

This is has nothing to do with TIR ( Atoll its TIR not TIP). The VAT relief on the boat is automatically available to qualifying owners and does not have to be applied for. ( its a EU wide law)

To summarise a US leisure vessel generally can not claim "yacht-in transit " rules as these don't really apply anymore inside the EU.

HOWEVER you are entitled to reclaim VAT if the items are actually exported subsequent to purchase, typically within 90 days. Some suppliers will take a risk and zero rate on sale on the assumption that you will export. But it is the supplier who takes the risk.

Addendum: EU VAT law allows for a process known as "inward processing relief", This is where you make an arrangement with Customs , that an asset outside the EU, is being brought in for repair or modification and then re-exported. ( and no VAT is applied on it or the mods/repair) On approval, they will issue documentation , which in essence is a VAT exemption certificate

However IPR, is typically only issues to people habitually engaged in such activity, ( but the EU directive is not specific ). It the work is extensive and expensive, you can apply for IPR via the local customs. UK customs would for example be aware of it.

This is an alternative to the reclaim procedure.

dave
Old 25-09-2014, 11:20   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not had any experience of Italy but its in the EU... from what I read you need to save all receipts for goods purchased/work done relating to the boat... then before you leave you go to the Port Customs office and get a VAT claim form.. this you fill in and submit with all the receipts your claiming for (keep copies).
Usually within 3 months of your form going in the VAT you paid appears in your account..
2 owners have done this when collecting and fitting out new boats in France then buying goods and services in Spain/Portugal...
Should add.. you do not hand this form back in till your last port before leaving the EU when its mailed back to the issuing port.

correct-a-mundo ( see my post above) claims are using made retrospectivley - processing time varies and can be very long in certain countries

dave