Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 13:23   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran
Sending Goods to Gibraltar (Temporary Import)

Anyone know the procedure for having goods shipped to Gibraltar?

I need to replace my standing rigging, and am planing to do so with synthetics (which is a whole other story). But that means that I need to have the parts shipped to me from the US.

My boat is Canadian registered.

So, can I have goods sent to a marina in Gib, for example having it addressed to "For Canadian yacht Life Part 2 in transit", and be able to receive it duty and or tax free?

Anyone know what the procedure is and how complicated it is or is not?

I now for Portugal and Spain it involves hiring a customs broker and is not a straight-forward procedure, which is why I don't want to do it there.

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 13:48   #2

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Re: Sending goods to Gibraltar (temporary import)

I'm sure if you were berthed there it would be no problem but I'd reccomend contacting Marina Bay or Queensway marina direct to get a definate answer.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:19   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Re: Sending Goods to Gibraltar (Temporary Import)

I had this already extracted from the Gib website.

Customs Formalities in Gibraltar

The Customs Department is responsible for the control of all imports/exports by the sea, land or air. It also has the responsibility for the clearance of passengers and their baggage on arrival in Gibraltar and equally so controls are exercised over the arrivals of private pleasure crafts.

Any ship arriving in Gibraltar with cargo must, within 24 hours, make report of the ship and the cargo by delivery to Customs an inward manifest of goods on duly signed by the Master or Agent, as the case may be. The Master must also answer all questions which may be put to him by the Customs Officer relating to the ship, her crew, cargo, passengers, stores, and voyage. He must also produce and deliver any document relating to the ship, her cargo etc. In the case of a ship over 1,000 net tons, the manifest required shall only relate to cargo to be landed or transhipped in Gibraltar. However, the Master must still answer any question and produce a manifest of goods in transit if this is required by the Custom Officer. The cargo is then unloaded and placed in Transit Sheds where it is segregated and sorted out by the ship's agents for delivery for home use or for re-export from Gibraltar. A free storage period of five days is allowed - thereafter if the goods have not been cleared then they are stored in a Government Warehouse where store rent accrues.

Transhipment facilities are available in Gibraltar and no import duty is payable on goods which, on importation, are declared to be in transit or for transhipment purposes.

Private pleasure crafts arriving in Gibraltar are subjected to normal Customs clearance and the Master must produce to the authorities a crew list giving details of those on board, including names, nationalities, passport numbers etc. On arrival, yachts must report to the reception berth on the starboard side of the approach to the Marinas. Information about the actual vessel is also required which should include nationality, port of registry etc. It is convenient for these crews lists to be ready before the vessels arrives in Gibraltar. There are prohibitions on importation of certain items such as flick knives, gravity knives, controlled drugs, firearms, explosives, ivory etc.

There is a 12% import duty on new vessels imported and which are going to be permanently based here. Temporary importation, without payment of duty, is allowed, provided that the importer is not permanently resident in Gibraltar. Unaccompanied yachts imported by non-residents may remain in Gibraltar under temporary import regulations although they may be placed under Customs seal until duty is paid.

Further information about Customs formalities may be obtained from the Collector of Customs, Customs House, Waterport, Gibraltar - Telephone 78879, Fax 78362, Telex GIBCUS 2376.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 05-10-2011, 05:55   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

yes there is no problem shipping directly to gibraltor. You will not pay EU VAT as it does not apply in Gib.

Dave
Old 08-10-2011, 06:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran

Thanks.

All very encouraging. That is what I expected, but wanted to be sure :-)

Noel

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Gibraltar, import