Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2013, 19:49   #1

Kalamaki Marina, Athens, what it looks like?

I am wondering if anybody has experience with Kalamaki (Alimos) Marina in Athens??
I am thinking about spending a few days (or rather nights) on the board of charter boat, while exploring Athens prior to sailing Saronic Gulf and I am wondering what this place looks/feels like and if it is a reasonable idea. Any information will be appreciated.
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 07:05   #2

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Kalamaki Marina, Athens, what it looks like?

it sinks its dirty music blairs out late at night from thurs to sunday night from bars no real security as such around marina the only good point is the the tram stops right next to marina which can get you around Athens wouldn't catch a taxi if you paid me too
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 00:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
1. it sinks its dirty music blairs out late at night from thurs to sunday night from bars no real security as such around marina

2.the only good point is the the tram stops right next to marina which can get you around Athens wouldn't catch a taxi if you paid me too
ad 1. ..as at most places in Greece
ad 2. ...if they are not on strike
Joefloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:56   #4

Boat: Bavaria 37

I agree with beneteau-500... (Jeofloki is known on CF to hate Geek people...)...
Another solution : visiting Athens from Aegina island (1/2 hour to Piraeus - the port of Athen - by speed-boats each hour )...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2 View Post
I agree with beneteau-500... (Jeofloki is known on CF to hate Geek people...)...
Another solution : visiting Athens from Aegina island (1/2 hour to Piraeus - the port of Athen - by speed-boats each hour )...
Is it really so bad that it is easier to sail both ways every day from Aegina? Is there a nice place in Aegina to leave a boat for the day? I guess we don't want to leave it on anchor if the weather will change.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:05   #6

It is not so bad... Not pleasant I would say... But depends on tastes of everyone... The marina will be more convenient I suppose...
And it depends on the season you will be there... In low or middle season, Aegina is a wonderful island, worth of it... But you are right : maybe you will have to berth with your own anchor back to the quay ... We did it many times to visit Athen and no problems, but the weather forecasts were good.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2 View Post
It is not so bad... Not pleasant I would say... But depends on tastes of everyone... The marina will be more convenient I suppose...
And it depends on the season you will be there... In low or middle season, Aegina is a wonderful island, worth of it... But you are right : maybe you will have to berth with your own anchor back to the quay ... We did it many times to visit Athen and no problems, but the weather forecasts were good.
Thank you for the prompt reply. We definitely want to visit Aegina, it just that we wanted to spend a few days in Athens (not really sure how long, since it is our first visit) before sailing and thought that it would be strange to stay in a hotel room when we have "free" boat lying in marina. I guess not everything is so simple
BTW we are looking at the middle of Sep. , which I think not a high season.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:19   #8

Alex you haven't said when your going ie month July, August it gets packed on Aegina but it is a great Island you can Catch a flying dolphin ferry 30 mins to Piraeus for about 12 euros one way or catch a slow ferry 1hr 5mins for about 8 euros after spending a good part of the last 20 yrs in Athens i Know what i would do is go to Aegina also word of warning Athens is one of the biggest pick pocket places especially on the metro system and around Piraeus
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22   #9

Middle of Sep will be more "middle season" I think, although the Saronic Gulf is always attractive for Greek people themselves. According to what you say, I think the best for you will be to stay sleeping aboard in the marina.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Alex you haven't said when your going ie month July, August it gets packed on Aegina but it is a great Island you can Catch a flying dolphin ferry 30 mins to Piraeus for about 12 euros one way or catch a slow ferry 1hr 5mins for about 8 euros after spending a good part of the last 20 yrs in Athens i Know what i would do is go to Aegina also word of warning Athens is one of the biggest pick pocket places especially on the metro system and around Piraeus
Thanks beneteau-500 for the advice! Since you spent a lot of time in Athens, how much time one would need to see all the major historical sites and museums? At least a minimum amount of time?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32   #11

well its up to yourself but there is a lot of things to see around the Acropolis so thats one full day so i would say max 3 but would suggest 2 full days it all depends what you would like to see
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46   #12

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

We stopped at Kalimaki for a couple of days to explore Athens. It was a typical Greek experience--had to use our own anchor, someone laid their's on top of ours, and the fuel truck ripped us off for about 50 euro. But it was convenient to shopping and transportation and I'd probably do it again. There were some half-sunken boats in the marina, and I wouldn't want to leave the boat there over the winter.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
We stopped at Kalimaki for a couple of days to explore Athens. It was a typical Greek experience--had to use our own anchor, someone laid their's on top of ours, and the fuel truck ripped us off for about 50 euro. But it was convenient to shopping and transportation and I'd probably do it again. There were some half-sunken boats in the marina, and I wouldn't want to leave the boat there over the winter.
So if you said you would do it again, it was not too disturbingly noisy and dirty? I am trying to make up my mind if I should stay there for a few days while exploring Athens, and it seem more difficult to find "review" of the marina, than for the hotel. They should come up with the special section on TripAdvisor
Old 01-02-2013, 10:16   #14

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Now I have to apologize--I went back and looked and it was Marina Zeas we stopped at. It was closer to the Piraeus shopping district, but Kalimaki sounds a bit more upscale.

Its too bad Activecaptain doesn't have much information for Greece. Its my goto source for North American marinas and anchorages. Wherever you do stop, write a review on ActiveCaptain for those who follow in your wake.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18   #15

Hi !
This a link with a kind of TripAdvisor for marinas : it is a french website despite its name "Sail The World" and hundreds of marinas in the world have been evaluated .
Let's use Googoo translator to read it...
Bateaux autour du monde - Sail The World - L'Univers de la grande croisière en voilier - STW)