Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2011, 14:06   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran
Is Sailing in Numbers an Option ?

Nowady threats of piracy affect all of us one way or another and searoutes and some beautiful scenery is all of a sudden out of bounds just because pirates seem to be in control!

I don't particularly want to challenge pirates, but is there no safety in numbers?

So i am wondering if one can plan a Atlantic crossing say to Gibralter in a group so one would need to advertise in all the yacht clubs and advertise you travel plans. Hopefully a few travellers might join up.

I am just wondering how possible such aventure would be!
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 14:14   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Is sailing in numbers a option

if you live your life in fear of piracy, you wont leave your living room television. there are more pirates in NYC or any other big city than out messing with sailors in the atlantic ocean or caribean.mebbe not venezuela, as they now have their own government as pirates.... be smart and be safe. if full of fear-- use a google earth game and virtually sail earth

i would definitely NOT sail anywhere near somalia or indian ocean, however. that is beyond piracy--that is death. somalian roulette might be a good name for it
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 14:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Yout hit slapwam on the bonker! Life is a gamble, pirates seem to add to it!

Yea, and for Google mapping it out... naw.. it just doesn't taste like salt!
Old 23-10-2011, 14:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is sailing in numbers a option

Its called the ARC.... no one stays together though... either way... no pirates...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 14:51   #5
Marine Service Provider

Yes Boatman, i saw their itinary last year December departing Trinidat i believe. I will contact them i have their details on file, it could be nice to sail in a group and yet not in a group!
Old 24-10-2011, 01:03   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel12 View Post
Yes Boatman, i saw their itinary last year December departing Trinidat i believe. I will contact them i have their details on file, it could be nice to sail in a group and yet not in a group!
ARC Europe from the Caribbean towards the Med usually sees two small fleets leaving either Hampton VA or the BYI's and joining up in the first stop in Bermuda. We've only ever gone the other way across the Atlantic and enjoyed the event for both its social side and the kind of racing you can't avoid. But we've been in Lagos Portugal when this fleet has arrived and they too seem to party hard.

The only risk of boarding on the crossing (and that coming from the west is minimal) is maybe close by the Canary Islands where they do have a lot of African refugees trying to land to claim asylum. But it's not sometihng I'd even worry about.

Enjoy

JOHN
Old 23-10-2011, 14:59   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

boatman--does that rally work for real-- i could modify my life dreams...as long as this boat holds together....is there a way they keep track of the slowpokes???/ or is every boat truly independent and long for the ride???
or is radio communication only?? this is an interesting topic for potentials......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 15:00   #8

Which "area out of bounds" you are talking about? Are you thinking of starting in CT?
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 15:15   #9
Marine Service Provider

That ARC rally thing is really something there were only two qualifiers last year Dollars and a minimum 40' yacht. Speed is not a prerequisite but they have sort of regatta amost themselves for fun. Each boat has a beacon fitted so satelite tracking knows exactly where you are and so does other boats. You could Google search their webpage!

It is expensive 10K US but i believe it really worth it!

Katiusa i am planning t depart from Cape Town yes weather is just horible at the moment!
Old 24-10-2011, 00:39   #10

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel12 View Post
That ARC rally thing is really something there were only two qualifiers last year Dollars and a minimum 40' yacht. Speed is not a prerequisite but they have sort of regatta amost themselves for fun. Each boat has a beacon fitted so satelite tracking knows exactly where you are and so does other boats. You could Google search their webpage!

It is expensive 10K US but i believe it really worth it!

Katiusa i am planning t depart from Cape Town yes weather is just horible at the moment!
The ARC from the Canary Isles to St Lucia is nearer to $1k for the boat and then a few hundred for each crew. The World ARC which goes all the way round - including around 8 weeks in South Africa - is considerably more expensive.

I've done both. On the ARC in 2002 we didn't see another boat after the first two days until about 2 days out from St Lucia even though there were around 220 boats involved. On the World ARC we rarely saw anyone after the first day of each leg, but, there was a daily ssb net to keep everyone in touch.

I like these organised events but I'm also quite happy cruising on my own.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 15:26   #11

What pirate areas are you thinking about within Atlantic crossing?
Old 23-10-2011, 21:39   #12
Marine Service Provider

African west coast Senegal Cape Verde area
Old 23-10-2011, 23:34   #13

Boat: Oyster 53

Niel,

Most reported pirate attacks on the west coast of Africa happen around the delta in Nigeria and now Benin. The only other attacks have happened right at Conakry, Guinea, which is far south of Senegal.

We sailed through "Pirate Alley" a few years ago by Somalia but I wouldn't dream of doing it now. The game has changed and it is now deadly.

Don’t go in a convoy. Most people feel safer going in company of other boats. But let me ask you this, if the yacht next to you is hit with crazed pirates in a speed boat carrying RPGs, what are you going to do to help? Throw tomatoes? Being right next to them just means they can and will nail you too. Also, convoys can only move at the speed of the slowest member ensuring you spend FAR LONGER than you normally might crossing this patch of water (unless you are that slowest boat). Convoys are also easier to spot, again increasing the likelihood of attack. I won’t even get into how hard it is to sail/motor in formation at night with different types of boats and varying skill levels of captains! We flew solo, dark and fast.

Good luck.

Dhillen
Old 23-10-2011, 23:20   #14

Boat: Oyster 53

Niel,
Most of the piracy off the W. African coast is centered around the delta in Nigeria and now Benin. The only reported piracy even near where you are talking about is off Conakry, Guinea, not Senegal, and that stuff is happening to big ships close to shore. There is a good map at the IMB website showing reported pirate attacks for your reference: Live Piracy Report
Sailing in a convoy, or groups, only makes you a bigger target for the pirates. As a group you can only sail at the speed of the slowest member which means you spend far longer in the pirate area than you would otherwise (unless you are the lucky slowest boat). Finally, what will you do when the boat next to you is attacked by drugged out crazies armed to the teeth with machine guns and RPGs - throw tomatoes? No, there is nothing you can do but watch....and wait your turn because you will be next.
Having sailed through "Pirate Alley" by Somalia a few years ago, I wouldn't even dream of it now. The best policy is avoidance, not the false sense of security of sailing in a group of equally defenseless cruisers.
Dhillen
Old 24-10-2011, 01:56   #15

Afaik, there are a lot of deliveries from SA and they usually go offshore north to pick up trade winds, then Carib, or offshore enough to get to Cape Verde, then Canaries.
Regarding Cape Verde: Don Street recently started promoting Cape Verde and even published a CV cruising guide. The guide says that Cape Verde is becoming a much more common cruising ground and nowadays there are only some cases of petty theft, and those are outside the marinas in busy port anchorages.

Maybe talk to someone from RCYC or some delivery captains?

Tags
sailing