Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2015, 04:26   #1

Boat: Catana 42
Albania Tips

Hi there,

We are about to leave France Canet Gulf of Lion as we head to Greece and Turkey for summer. Our original plans was to travel straight to Turkey but with only 3 weeks to be out of the EU before my 90 days are up our itinerary is now to travel direct to southern Albania. Our departure has been delayed by 3 weeks due to crazy strong NW winds in the gulf of Lion. (please make it stop!!)

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for us in regards to Albania, checking in, good marinas for a catamaran for restocking and general safety or issues if there are any. I read that Australians have 90 days but wondered how others have gone with checking in and visa issues.

Kind regards

the Miss
Miss Catana
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 06:40   #2

Re: Albania Tips

call Capt. Irene for info SAIL ALBANIA - www.sail-albania.com
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 08:36   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We sailed into Albania last year and will do so again this year. The only real marina is in Orikum and it is very good and can take cats. In Albania more English is spoken than anywhere we have been so far. It is very safe and we traveled all through Albania by bus and mini vans. The people are friendly and helpful, food and fresh veggies are everywhere.

You will have to use an agent but I think you can now do it in Orikum. Our 1st stop this year will be Schengjin before heading farther south as we also have the visa issues and want to spend as much time in Greece as possible so will use Albania as stopping point and maybe do some more inland travel from there. Last year we traveled to Macedonia and Kosovo from there.

Capt Irene can really help and give good advise and is a good person. Any question please let me know.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 01:05   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

There's a reasonably up to date brief description of Albanian ports and anchorages on Montenegro and Albania | JimB Sail

Neighbouring Montenegro is also outside the EU and Schengen, and has much better yacht facilities and support if needed, with some excellent shelter in Kotor Fjord facilities.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 09:58   #5

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Take a look at the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki (http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Albania). All the port entries are up to date as of May/June last year and there are recent photos of most of them.

As others have pointed out, Orikum is the only place you can leave a boat. The marina manager there can handle the formalities as long as you've already checked in at one of the ports of entry.

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 08-04-2015, 06:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
Hi there,

We are about to leave France Canet Gulf of Lion as we head to Greece and Turkey for summer. Our original plans was to travel straight to Turkey but with only 3 weeks to be out of the EU before my 90 days are up our itinerary is now to travel direct to southern Albania. Our departure has been delayed by 3 weeks due to crazy strong NW winds in the gulf of Lion. (please make it stop!!)

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for us in regards to Albania, checking in, good marinas for a catamaran for restocking and general safety or issues if there are any. I read that Australians have 90 days but wondered how others have gone with checking in and visa issues.

Kind regards

the Miss
Miss Catana

We have recently contacted an agent in Sarander, that is in the south near Corfu. We want to visit for a couple of days, He was very helpful.Details Agim Zholi email agimzholi@yahoo.com
Kassell is offline   Reply With Quote