Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Asia
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2019, 01:35   #16

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Malaysia Insurance Requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
And if you feel good about the American International Group, AIG, you could contact them: https://www.aig.my/business/products/marine
Then, as mentioned above by skipperpete, you could try Chubb:
https://www.chubb.com/my-en/business...insurance.aspx
Old 25-08-2019, 01:44   #17

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
From an email from them:
CIP (Customs-Immigration & Port) clearance will be carried out by our Puteri Harbour team. The documents needed are as follows:

a) Crew list from last port
b) Valid Passport
c) Valid Boat Registration
d) Valid Boat Insurance
e) Last Port Clearance
Seriously?

You're looking at an integrated resort/theme park/hotel/marina + goodness knows what. It's set up for superyachts (or at least the sort of wealthy folk who decorate their decks with underwear models and the like).

That's not what cruisers do. Cruisers check in with CIQ and the port authority. And berth at marinas that are marinas plus or minus a boat yard.

I'd suggest skipping Puteri Harbour unless you've big mobs of money that are making you uncomfortable.

If you do have a thick wad of money that's making you uncomfortable, put half of it in a plain brown envelope and mail it to me at my marina. I'll look after it for you. Promise.
Old 25-08-2019, 01:58   #18

Boat: Aluminium 44' cutter-ketch

Malaysian Shipping Notice - MSN 07/2016
Vessel Insurance - Malaysian waters.

http://www.marine.gov.my/jlmeng/pic/.../MSN072016.pdf

Please read that the Notice identifies that ALL vessels in Malaysian waters MUST carry insurance and the Notice specifically identifies that ALL vessels of less than 300 tonnes must carry insurance.
Jaden44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 04:34   #19

I think the Jabatan Laut is referring to licensed vessels under 300 tonnes, probably KLP license for charter ops or ferry service.
Chubb insurance made a point of mentioning vessels used for reward or payment in the application for cover
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 23:03   #20

Boat: Aluminium 44' cutter-ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I think the Jabatan Laut is referring to licensed vessels under 300 tonnes, probably KLP license for charter ops or ferry service.
Chubb insurance made a point of mentioning vessels used for reward or payment in the application for cover
Sorry Skipperpete - Your “think” and interpretation on Malaysian Shipping Notice 07/216 is wrong.

I can confirm from my personal exchanges with the Jabatan Laut, Malaysia that they deem this notice to apply to ALL ships, regardless of size, to include both commercial and non-commercial vessels, be they Malaysian vessels or foreign flagged vessels. Cruisers should read the Malaysian Shipping Notice MSN07/216 to include ALL foreign flagged pleasure vessels. The notice clearly identifies that vessel insurance is mandatory for any activity in Malaysian waters.

It follows that skippers of cruising yachts who arrive at a Malaysian ports and who can not produce evidence of vessel insurance at time of check-in, will most definitely have trouble. Additionally the Harbour Master /Jabatan Laut will not issue his port departure clearance paperwork that authorises the vessel to depart his port, and thereafter permits onward passage, until acceptable evidence of vessel insurance is produced.

While some CF members may question the obligation for cruisers to carry vessel insurance, it is nevertheless a mandatory requirement for cruisers sailing in Malaysian waters. Please recognise that this mandatory requirement was introduced by necessity, following some significant clean-up cost incurred by Malaysia to remove uninsured derelict, sunk, and wrecked vessels from its waters.

It is my understanding the 3rd Party Insurance is the minimum acceptable insurance to show compliance. FWIW my vessel carries comprehensive vessel insurance and is based at Langkawai, Malaysia.

If you intend to sail Malaysian waters, of course your free to try to circumvent the insurance obligation specified in MSN07/2016. Personally I expect you'll loose and it may just cost you more than the cost of the insurance.
Jaden44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
government regulations, insurance, local information, Malaysia, marina & port info, men, passage info: to & from