Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2008, 15:41   #1

Boat: Lord Nelson 41
Costa Rica

We are looking for a place to live aboard and put our two 8 yo boys in a local school to learn Spanish. We've never been to Costa Rica but have heard it is a safe and friendly place. We will be living aboard and are looking for a destination that is safe during hurricane season as we will plan to be somewhere by June '08. We are open to other options (Panama, Columbia, etc.). Ultimately our plan is to cruise the South Pacific in the Spring of '09. Your advice would be much appreciated.
Victoria4363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 09:06   #2

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
There's aren't a lot of Marinas on the east coast and the couple that are there are a total mess. Last I was there, which was over two years ago they had planned on putting a new marina and resort in Limon, but things go slowly in Costa Rica so that may still just be a plan

On the west coast there are several, banana bay is the only one I can remember off the top of my head, but i am sure a good google search would give you some other options, to be honest i haven't spent much time on the west coast of costa rica so I can't give you any first hand experience.

Panama I am told is much more "cruiser friendly" as far as facilities go. Costa Rica is beautiful, the Tico's are amazing people, extremely nice and just plain cool, but they take out their aggression on the road Theft is high, or at least the expats that live there feel it is, pretty much all their houses are compounded in and you'll see most communities pitched to expats as "secure". They are huge into the environment, an extremely high number of Tico's own homes (not necessarily to our standards however), they have great healthcare, good food and pretty much everything you could want is available if you have the money to buy it. The roads are terrible, there are no street signs even in big cities. I don't know how prices as far as importation have changed since the CAFTA agreement, it was quite expensive to import things like cars permanently last I was there, but again that was before CAFTA.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 09:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I don’t know of any marinas, along Cost Rica’s Caribbean coast.

The Costa Rica Marina Guide:
The Costa Rica Marina Guide

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 10:30   #4

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Forget the Caribbean side for your boat in Costa Rica. There are some places to check out if you don't mind being moored or anchored out. Before going to Puntarenas when rounding from the north pacific you'll pass a small bay called Bahia Ballena. Check in with the local ex-pats there who have been around since '81 and had children there. You'll get good info. Check out Golfito as well. It all depends upon just how into the local mode you can get comfortable with.

As your Spanish goes so goes your envelopment into the local culture and they will look after you.
Old 16-04-2008, 12:51   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
Look at joining the yahoo southboaund group for info on Costa Rica and places south of the US mostly on the West side. Lots of people in the area who can give yo answers.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 07:17   #6

Boat: Beneteau 49
Bocas Del Toro is just accross the boarder from Costa Rica and has good facilities but I am not sure about the school there.
Old 31-08-2008, 07:52   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
You might check with Lancercr (Roberto). He's a member here and lives and sails in Costa Rica (west coast). http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ercr-4192.html
Old 31-08-2008, 08:06   #8

Costa Rica

Try http://www.welovecostarica.com hosted by Scott Oliver. Lot's of information on Costa Rica.
Falcon 767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Costa Rica, Finland