Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 17:45   #1

Boat: Tayana 48
Tayana 48 year 2000 Price reduction!

Hello all:

Nomad will be available for sale through the end of this month (February 2018). After that we will take her off of the market.

We have seriously offered Nomad for sale in hopes of connecting with the next new owners.

New Price --$279,000.

Nomad...

Tayana 48 for sale...the perfect long range/live aboard/life on the hook cruising boat!

Currently in the Titusville, Florida.

Selling price $323,000.
Year 2000, hull 66

Every boat has a story (or a few) to tell. NOMAD is no exception. We bought her in 2013 and did a major refit. We have cruised her full time since then. As we all know life changes. Here is a run down of some of NOMAD's attributes...

Robert Perry Design, 48' long, 14.5' beam, 35k lbs, 6' draft, 63' air draft, Yanmar engine 88 hp 3800 hrs, Fischer Panda mini 8 (year 2009 - fresh water cooled gen, 1100 hrs) generator, water 235, fuel 120, holding 30

Tayana builds semi custom...This layout -- fwd V berth and head with separate shower stall, salon setees both sides with sea berth on port, galley, aft state room with walk around queen and ensuite head.

Here are some of the specifics to NOMAD's equipment list:
Refit in 2013
NEW Selden internal car mast/boom/rig to change to (new) full batten main built to 62.5' AWL (clears all the 'so called' 65' ICW bridges)
NEW wiring and lights for all mast navigation -- LED anchor/tri light/steaming
NEW Keel cooled Frigoboat 12v refer and freezer added (Grunert 115v remains as alternate)
NEW Custom SS arch/davit system by Mack Sails
NEW Passive charging combo Kyocera solar and MK450 Wind Generator
NEW Emarine panel with Blue Sky charge controller
NEW Class B AIS
NEW LED bulbs through out
NEW SS lifelines -- 1/4" uncoated
NEW Icom VHF M412 added at helm
NEW ACR Globalfix EPIRB
NEW Acrylic companionway doors
NEW windshield and screens
NEW smoke and CO detectors
NEW fresh water pump variable speed, 5gpm
NEW Raritan Head (aft)

Other equipment:
SK Watermaker - 25 GPH (new membranes 2013, tubes 2014)
Batteries - 800 AH house, GRP 31 Eng start, GRP 31 Gen start
Three separate A/C unit Marine Air (28,000 BTU)
Grunert 115v holding plate freezer/refrigeration (also 12v Frigoboat as primary)
Standard Horizon VHF at Nav station
Raymarine electronics C120W chart plotter, etc.
Magnum 2500 charger/inverter (new 2015)
Sea Recovery (UV) Water filtration system
Vetus Bow thruster
Lewmar electric winch (at cabin top)
Max Prop with PYI drip less shaft seal
Fuel polishing system
Two (2) Racor filters - eng, gen all with heat shields
Winslow 6 man life raft (certified Sept. 2015)
Spade 77 lb anchor - primary
AB 10vl dinghy with Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke (not pretty but serviceable)

This is a taste of NOMAD. We would be happy to discuss her with anyone any time. We believe her to be one of the best equipped and maintained Tayana 48 currently on the market. And would love to discuss this with anyone. Of course that is subject to owners' opinion. -Ha!

Currently -- ready to load and go.

Best to you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	163754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3719 salon #1.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	163755  

Name:	IMG_3734 nav desk #1.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	163756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3192-1 stbd btyd.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	163757  

Name:	IMG_3708 galley looking aft.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	163758  
Attached Files
File Type: doc NOMAD Spec sheet Nov 1, 2017.doc (24.0 KB, 97 views)
D Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 11:32   #2

Re: Tayana 48 year 2000 Price reduction!

New price 269,000.

This price is good for the rest of the month. Then she is going on the hard until Fall, when we return to make her Bahamas bound once again...

D
Old 13-02-2018, 11:42   #3

You wrote "Here are some of the specifics to NOMAD's equipment list:
Refit in 2013"

Then you listed a bunch of stuff with "NEW", does that mean it WAS new in 2013 and is NOW 5 years old.................... or is NEW NOW?

Thanks
GARRYOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 12:09   #4

Interesting question Garry...

The items stated were new at the refit, which was completed in December of 2013. So take your pick, we could call it 5 years old, or just over 4 years old. It has age on it, and is considered used just like when you drive a new car off of the lot.

You you should be able to see that we have appropriately depreciated the work we did! Things like standing rigging and life lines have a reasonable 'life span', generally considered ten years on a rig of this size.

Things like a new mast and a Stainless Steel arch should probably be considered capital improvements (do not depreciate).

Many other items are open for debate. You decide.

Any boat that is used is...used. Regardless of my opinion, the buyer and surveyor determine the value.

Best regards,
David
Old 14-02-2018, 19:55   #5

Thank you for the information....boat stuff is all new to me and I'm learning as much as I can as I go....

It is a very nice looking boat!
GARRYOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 17:42   #6

New day today!

Nomad is officially off the market. Although we came close a couple of times, we were not able to connect -- to close the sale.

We are of the opinion that everything happens for a reason or in this instance - does not happen for a reason. Our (brilliant) son said, "Nomad is not done with you." - Brilliant!

I would like to thank all of the people who made positive posts and/or PMs. It is always nice to hear back from anyone who appreciates. For those seriously looking, I hope you find the perfect fit at the perfect time. Maybe we will see each other soon and have much to share.

Here is a link for a sailing song I wrote after a quick trip from Bimini to Charleston on Nomad. It is an instrumental written in ballad form : https://soundcloud.com/davidnomadrock/big-blue-34-world I hope you enjoy!

And a picture of my beautiful bride of 37 years, taken a couple of days ago on our way to haul out. Who has the biggest grin -- The Admiral, the d.o.g. or...me from behind the wheel?

We didn't give the boat away...Hoo ya!

Be well, sail safely, see you soon,
D, LA, Gypsy (the dog)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LA and Gyps.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	165162   Click image for larger version

Name:	spinnaker in the tongue.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	165163  

Old 01-03-2018, 22:43   #7

Boat: Vindo 45 34ft Swedish built boat

I know how you feel, we have a boat for sale and if you don't sell it sail it. There could be worst things. www.muchogustosailing.wordpress.com
ewitts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:05   #8

Boat: Tayan 48DS

I see Nomad has the original grunert 115v refrigeration and you added frigiboat keel cooled did you run the frigiboat through second loop in grunert plates if so how does it work freezer cold enough how often does it run power consumption
Thanks
Oasis
svoasis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 19:34   #9

Oasis:

Good question regarding refers...

The original Grunnert 115v (which by the way as you know is virtually bullet proof) stayed in position with 2 holding plates for the freezer and one for the refer...

The gentleman that installed our Frigoboat units (2 units, one for refer and one for freezer) installed them completely separately. He installed the flat evaporators in front of the Grunnert holding plates. It was not necessarily easy, it was not overly difficult either. So all units are independent of each other and took up almost no space.

He built shelves for each compressor unit behind the galley drawers...yes there is a ton of room to do that back there. The lines for the keel coolers go directly down to the bilge. There is plenty of air space for necessary cooling and it keeps the compressors (quiet as they are) in a very quiet place...virtually unnoticeable.

We use the Grunnert system to freeze the holding plates as required, especially before a long passage. That takes the pressure off of the the 12v Frigoboat systems.

The 12v Frigoboats systems are our primary refrigeration systems. They work in concert with the Grunnert 115v. Both of these systems operate independently and in symphony. You are no doubt familiar with the energy requirements for the 115v system...The Frigoboat freezer unit freezes (how cold do you want it?) and the refer will produce close to freezing.

As best I can tell both units (refer and freezer) use about 80-100ah a day (in total). Each compressor running draws about 3.5a. Run time depends on how we have them loaded (fuller is better) and the environment we are in.

Just to note...our single 235 watt panel and the wind generator virtually run the boat...of course they aren't enough to make water and make it hot! So, yes our generator does get used too...but we are comfortable our goods are cold all the time! It is not unusual to go for weeks without the need for 115v battery charging.

I wish I was at the boat, I'd take pictures of this very cool system...PM me if you have any other questions.

Regards
D
Old 11-03-2018, 22:27   #10

Boat: Tayan 48DS

D
I wish I was looking for a boat instead of modifying the one I have.
I am currently in Martinique leaving the boat in Grenada for the summer and plan on finalizing refrigeration upfit equipment while Home in New York and ship to Carribean probably Antigua and work on it there while at anchor. If you get the chance between now and summer would you be so kind as to send me as many pictures of the installation as you can especially how the units were mounted behind the kitchen draws, pipes run to units, evaporater mounted, thermostat mounted. If you have equipment list that would be appreciated.
We have a 2006 Tayana 48DS and leaving the hard way that not equipped right for cruising. I have 320 W of solar and willing to mount wind generator. If I can upgrade refrigeration we should be in good shape. I am speaking to everyone and in a quandary before I saw your installation wether to tear everything out and get sea frost or ozfridge or listen to Rich Boran cruiser ro and cool blue and mount his refrigeration units to the engine driven loop of the grunert plates and keep the ac unit in place.
Sea frost says will not work that well Cool Blue says it will. The cool blue installation will be much easier but I need to know it will work.
Would appreciate any insight you can give me about this and boat in general. Wife and I are on second season in Carribean six on six off. We jumped in 2015 came down with salty dawgs from Virginia to bvi with no offshore experience and very little sailing experience. Last year was tough getting better as we go.
If I can get away from running generator for refrigeration it will be nice.
Thanks
BobGaiman
Svoasis48@gmail.com
svoasis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 08:29   #11

Bob:

I understand your dilemma! When we bought our T48 we wanted to make her capable of being off the hook for as long as we were capable. So far the longest we have been away from a dock is 9 months. I think the boat can last longer than we can.

Refrigeration is the biggest energy drain on the boat. We upped to 800 ah of batteries and that helped. Your single solar panel is probably enough to provide for all your energy needs (???). We just wanted a wind generator for redundancy (you can see that a lot on our boat). A wind generator generally is not a good way to (re) charge, but danged good at reducing continuous draw. There is a subtle difference between these and important to understand your needs.

We chose the Marine Kinetics MK450 wind generator. It has been a very good choice. It has proven dependable and just as importantly (to me) quiet and smooth.

As for the Frigoboat units...I chose them in the keel cooled configuration because...I heard nothing but good about them. There are a lot of good options out there. Everybody gets the chance to make their own decision. Saving money on an installation of this importance was not part of my decision making criteria.

Below is a picture of the compressor installation behind the drawer section. Unfortunately I am not in a position to supply any more pics at this time. I think with a little imagination you can see the simple brilliance of the installation tech on this. He was Jeff Hawthorne, a well experienced and respected guy in Ft Lauderdale.

The flat evaporators (not boxed) are molded (bent/shaped) into the top of the boxes and in front of the holding plates using copper tubing stand offs where needed. We chose the mechanical thermostats mounted as they typically are. Getting the bend right was tricky so make a template to practice with before you start

The tubing to the evaporators runs at the top of and back of the boxes (drilled holes through, run, and plugged with plumbers putty afterward). Simple enough.

The keel cooling tubing runs straight down behind the drawers to the first galley bilge compartment (and behind the manual bilge pump). It is a very easy and natural place to put them (more simple brilliance). Of course drilling a hole in your boat is never fun, but as the Techs will tell you, drilling holes in other people's boats is not a problem. Of course this step will have to be accomplished before you 'are on the hook' and it is a two person job.

Next, after some discussions of pros and cons, we decided to install a breaker box on the bulkhead forward of the drawers, behind the settee. It is not necessarily easy to access, but it is not like we are turning these off and on a lot. It reduced the wire run thus increasing efficiency and is still easy enough to get to. Install switch covers so as to not accidentally change the switch setting.

I don't have the exact specs on the equipment but...I think with the right research you can ferret it out. The refer flat evaporator was '130' the freezer was '200'. You can see by the picture the freezer compressor was a 50 and the refer was a 35. The refer compressor had the speed control card installed on it (also visible in the pic) and would perform well on the lowest (slowest) setting. Generally we run the freezer at '3' setting and the refer around '5' - also depends on conditions. The freezer will make ice in less than 24 hours (yea!).

When we did this installation little did we know how important the redundancy of units would be. Now after my wife was diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic in 2016, we carry much life saving and expensive insulin that has to be closely temperature controlled. She has an article on pg 114 of the current Cruising Outpost magazine and is well worth the read. The last line pretty much sums it up, ... "You only get one life, and it would be a shame to be so safe and secure you die of boredom." Uh huh.

Also worthy of note and along these lines...She has an article coming out in the summer edition of Cruising Outpost called, 'The making of Nomad, Dock queen to cruising machine'. It touches on some of the thoughts we had in outfitting Nomad to be our boat.

I hope this helps. I know it would be easier to envision if you had Oasis right there. It is well worth the effort to be sure.

Regards to all,
D
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	refer compressor install.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	166156  

Tags
price