Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2023, 07:52   #1

Boat: Looking to buy a Motor Sail
pirate Co-ownership?

I am in the market for a boat (prefer a motorsail or classic/antique) suitable for the Great Loop in Fall 2025 - I must be able to single hand it as a female retiree. I also must be able to use the interior cockpit or pilot house for creating artwork - so the vessel must have loads of light.

Because I cannot sail prior to that date, I am open to co-ownership arrangements.
star dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 16:09   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Co-ownership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by star dust View Post
I am in the market for a boat (prefer a motorsail or classic/antique) suitable for the Great Loop in Fall 2025 - I must be able to single hand it as a female retiree. I also must be able to use the interior cockpit or pilot house for creating artwork - so the vessel must have loads of light.

Because I cannot sail prior to that date, I am open to co-ownership arrangements.
g'day Stardust,

That's a fairly daunting set of requirements that you have set forth! And there are, IMO, some contradictory elements: the requirement for lots of light and a workplace for doing unspecified art work AND antique/classic are difficult to reconcile, for older designs tend to be dark, cramped and short on creature comforts. Add the requirement for good motor performance and the available candidate list becomes pretty slim.

What you describe sounds to me like a trawler type motor yacht... something favoured by lots of Loopers and IMO a better suited genre for the job.

Further, with regard to your co-ownership thoughts, a bit more info is needed. For instance, your location, experience level, budget concerns, proposed method of sharing costs and access to the boat, time frame for the voyage, size of desired vessel... and many more detailed bits of info that would lead someone to consider joining you in this adventure.

I hope that you can find compromises that will work for you!

Jim
Old 29-07-2023, 22:52   #3

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Definitely not a motorsailer or classic/antique, but a cat would suit your other requirements.

Having an idea of budget would also help!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 07:29   #4

Boat: Columbia 40

Hi there, I haves Columbia 40 1966 in very good condition with a large cockpit I maybe interested to sell half of it since I am getting older and solo sailor I would like to keep sailing few more years and maybe do the great loop as well
Lapino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ownership