Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 14:40   #46

Latest (5PM) Model Ensemble

Here
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 17:52   #47

Boat: William Atkin Cutter
Re: Hurricane Question

If I had a probable three day window from say Bimini, or somewhere in the southern Bahamas, I would head across to Florida, non stop under sail and engine, at least until I cleared the Gulf Stream, to Marathon, cut through to Florida Bay up the West Coast to Shark River and ride it out there deep in the mangroves. Based on the current Matthew track, winds should work for that attempt. A friend of mine did that for Andrew, and came out with minor cosmetic issues.
Old 04-10-2016, 20:07   #48

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
If I had a probable three day window from say Bimini, or somewhere in the southern Bahamas, I would head across to Florida, non stop under sail and engine, at least until I cleared the Gulf Stream, to Marathon, cut through to Florida Bay up the West Coast to Shark River and ride it out there deep in the mangroves. Based on the current Matthew track, winds should work for that attempt. A friend of mine did that for Andrew, and came out with minor cosmetic issues.
Amen. Little Shark River is a traditional hurricane hole for the boats in the keys.
Old 04-10-2016, 20:33   #49

Boat: Custom 30

A couple of the latest models show matthew running up the coast of Fl, Ga, and SC, then looping back to the SE, then looping around to Canaveral across to Sarasota, into the Gulf and hitting near Panama City.

One of these is the model used by windyty.com, and it's usually pretty good in this part of the world. Hope not this time.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurrica...w?map=ensmodel

'
Custom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 00:38   #50

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Remember, 7 days out, even anything over 3 days out is PURELY FANTASY. The computer display makes it look real, but it is only a guess! Hurricane paths are notoriously difficult to predict accurately. Meantime, prepare, for the worst possible scenario. Anything less is a blessing, and learn from the whole thing.

Ann
Old 06-10-2016, 18:58   #51

Boat: Custom 30

The current 5-day fantasy from the NHC shows Matthew making a complete circle back to his current position at Settlement Point, Freeport.

It appears the weather station there at Settlement Point went out a couple of hours ago as the eyewall went by it.

Yikes!

'
Custom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 17:57   #52

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

My GOD, I just keep thinking about that kind of wind working against the Gulf Stream. Have no idea how huge the waves must be. I pray that no one was caught out there trying to run where ever.
Old 07-10-2016, 18:15   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
My GOD, I just keep thinking about that kind of wind working against the Gulf Stream. Have no idea how huge the waves must be. I pray that no one was caught out there trying to run where ever.
Looks like 17' Average - See Here
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane