Just "mostly" completed installation
of a Xantex Freedom 2500 and Link 2000 monitor
in a Privilege
. The installation
was "relatively" straight forward. I installed the inverter
in the starboard engine
compartment. There is a shelf that looks like it was designed for it. As a matter of fact I know it was designed for it. There was a junction box installed right next to the shelf with a lable for an inverter
on the box. The fact that the AC source and AC lines to the distribution panel were already installed made installation somewhat easier. I did have to install a battery/inverter switch to cut the supply to/from the battery
banks. I also installed a 200 amp ANL type fuse on the positive side leading to the main battery
bank. I used 1/0 cable to the battery banks. It is about a 3' run (1' for the negative line 1.5' for the positive line). The most challenging part was routing the lines in a semi-neat fashion. I still need to install the temperature sensing switch on the battery, but that is 4 minutes tops.
The Link 2000 was a little bit more of a challenge. There are 9 wires for various functions that have to be connected. Basically there is a 12volt supply line pair. 2 lines for voltage sensing against 2 battery banks. 1 line for a backlight in the link 2000. 4 lines for amperage sensing, 2 for each battery. Asside from the tedium of connecting ring terminals for all the small lines, more interesting is tapping the appropriate locations. The supply lines I taped from after my main battery switch. I put it on the common pole. As long as I have either battery bank on, power is available to the monitor
. If I shut down the power, there is no monitoring function. The battery voltage lines were tapped from the post on ANL battery fuses
for each bank. This was straight forward. The challenging part has been the AMP sense lines. There is one shunt that is included with the Link 2000. Because I am installing in a catamaran
and I have the main bank in one hull
(starboard) and the starting battery in another hull
(port), if I use one shunt, I am only able to measure amperage use of the starting battery after the starter and alternator
. Not exactly what I want! Especially given that that is all the load on that bank. Therefore, even though that is how I have it currently wired, I will try to get another shunt and put that right off the starting battery. This will allow me to measure total amperage draw on the port battery.
Once I get that cleaned up, I'll really be able to say it is complete. Only took about 7 hours for the installation, but that did include a trip to the electrical
supply house for some supplies.