Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2012, 04:11   #1

Boat: Island Packet 38
wiring Size

Am adding four 5o watt solar panels. Run will be about 40 feet to battery. Any suggestions re wire size?
mparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 09:12   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: wiring Size

forty feet one way = 80' round trip. Look at any online voltage loss calculator, you are dealing with 200 watts, about 14 amps, and you want less than a 3% voltge drop. Since battery charging is a little more demanding about voltage losses, I'd go for a cable size that had 1% or less drop, if you can afford it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 10:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: wiring Size

Of course that 14 Amp number is for a 12V system. If you have a 24V bank, or an MPPT controller that lets you run a higher panel voltage, you may be able to reduce the wire size. Personally, I would look at the voltage-drop-calculated wire size as a minimum. You should consider running heavier wire (without being ludicrous about it) to improve the system efficiency, since every Watt is precious.

And remember that in a multi-panel boat system there are factors other than wire size to consider. Are you going to have these in series, parallel, or series/parallel? In a home rooftop system you usually run full-series (until you hit the maximum Voltage limit), but on a boat the unavoidable shadows can really complicate this decision.

An example: On my boat (12V battery, three parallel -connected 100W panels on top of the dodger, MPPT controller), I could have probably fit higher-power panels by running the long dimensions port/starboard. Unfortunately, my boom (and mast) usually casts a shadow that runs fore and aft, which would have essentially shut down all of the panels. By putting one panel to port, one to starboard, and one in the middle, I usually have one panel with shading but two at full-power. Your situation is probably different, but there are always other factors to consider.

But let's assume that you are running a 12V system, and the wire is carrying 14A. 80 feet of "0" (AWG) wire will give you about 0.0078 Ohms, which gives 0.11V drop (just under 1%). This is big wire, and in spite of my suggestion to go big, if wire size is a problem you might consider allowing more wire loss.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size, wiring