Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 16:54   #1

Boat: Catalina 28'
Wiring a Starter Solenoid

I recently purchased a 1991 Catalina 28' however the starter solenoid had been removed. I purchased a new solenoid but I am not sure how to connect the wiring. The solenoid is not identified with a +/- post (2 post and 1 slip-on connector), and I have 4 wires to connect. One wire is a slip-on connector, (obvious connection), and the other three are ring connectors. Does anyone know where I can find a schematic of the starter system or where to connect the wiring?

Thanks
rbarclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 17:36   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
not polarity sensitive

Solenoids engage regardless of the direction of current flow in the solenoidal field and, therefore, the low current connections are not polarity sensitive unless they are specifically mechanically designed to connect with the engine block which must be negative (unless you are unfortunate enough to have a positive common engine, not likely though).

The high current contacts are also not polarity sensitive and may be connected either way if they are mechanically the same. So, all you have to do is identify the solenoidal low current terminals by their "wimpy" small size and identify the high current starter/battery current terminals by their comparatively large size.
Old 06-02-2008, 17:43   #3

The solenoid will orient with the large terminals up/down the lower one connects to the braided wire coming from the starter motor. The battery cable connects to the upper/outer one. The light gauge wire with the ring terminal connects with the battery cable. the slide on is self explanatory.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
It sounds like you have a Grounded Case (Frame Ground) Solenoid.
Goto:
http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/Tech...%20circuts.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	startsystem.gif
Views:	10622
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	2616  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:03   #5

Boat: Catalina 28'
THANK YOU

Thank you. This has been VERY helpful!!!
rbarclay is offline   Reply With Quote