Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2014, 14:42   #1

Boat: PT-11
Watt & Sea Hydrogenerators

Anyone using one, or otherwise have thoughts on them, particularly for use on a cat?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 15:15   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: Watt & Sea Hydrogenerators

I think they are ideal solution for cats, as they are highly effective, but need quite high average speeds to show their full potential.
For the cats up to 40 - 45 feet (and even bigger "condomarans") probably the cruising model is the equipement of choice. The racing model is probably ideal for bigger, but more performace oriented cats.
Anyway - very good mode of generating energy on passages
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 15:20   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

They are terrific when they are working.

Unfortunately they are developing a bit of a reputation for breaking at sea - both among the racers and the few cruisers that have them.

Some of that is hitting stuff in the water, but there have also been some electrical problems. It is very hard to determine how much is 'installation' vs 'operator' vs 'design' error/failure, and there has been some inconclusive finger pointing.

They are also quite expensive. I would have one except for that.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 15:31   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
They are terrific when they are working.

Unfortunately they are developing a bit of a reputation for breaking at sea - both among the racers and the few cruisers that have them.

Some of that is hitting stuff in the water, but there have also been some electrical problems. It is very hard to determine how much is 'installation' vs 'operator' vs 'design' error/failure, and there has been some inconclusive finger pointing.

They are also quite expensive. I would have one except for that.

I remember there is at least one other make of similar hydrogenerator, but can not remeber the brand at the moment....
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 21:10   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

It seems to me that this type of generator would be perfect in a chinese knockoff version. Say 70% of the power for 1/3 the price?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 14:50   #6

Boat: PT-11

My concern specific to a cat would be how to mount. Even the long version won't reach sufficient depth with any decent bridgedeck clearance. Also, a cat tends to funnel stuff between the hulls, which might break one.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 20:42   #7

Boat: Baltic 38DP
So far this bit of kit is the only one on my boat which has been an abject failure. It's not that it is not working, but the mechanism of lowering and raising the generator is pathetically engineered, so that we can't work it unless we step outside of the boat onto the inclined transom and do it by hand. Hardly a safe option out at sea. Once the generator is in place, lowered, it usually doesn't stay there for more than 10 minutes, the clamp failing to hold it.

Over the winter I am going to look at re-engineering this.

Oh - one more thing: few people seem to know how to install this thing. It took us ages before we knew if it was working, this also not helped by the fact that we didn't know that it doesn't charge if the batteries show 12.8V or more.

Onno
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1189843031.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	88423  
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 20:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
I remember there is at least one other make of similar hydrogenerator, but can not remeber the brand at the moment....
There was an English make - Cristec ? - but they have been sued by Watt&Sea, apparently succesfully so.

Onno
Old 22-09-2014, 03:09   #9

Quote:
mechanism of lowering and raising the generator is pathetically engineered, so that we can't work it unless we step outside of the boat onto the inclined transom and do it by hand.
Agree! I have one mounted on my 41ft Cruiser since middle of this year. It seems it is mostly a problem if you have a negative stern (as we have too) because the 'pull direction is not optimal'.

Also you basically can only lower it at VERY LOW boat speeds or better b4 you start (or while underway you have to lower the speed to almost zero).

Otherwise I think the generator is great for us. This winter I will change to LifePO4 batteries and the system will be even better.

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 04:49   #10

Nice to hear we are not the only ones struggling with some of the issues. Also nice to hear that otherwise, you are happy with the unit. We really need to re-engineer this thing coming winter so we can use it effectively.

Onno
Old 22-09-2014, 04:55   #11

... keep me updated Onno and I will do the same.

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 06:36   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We met a catamaran last year with two of them mounted - one on each transom. The units pretty much took up the transoms when raised, and left very little room for using the transom. Thus, the units were left lowered when at anchor and they were very fouled. I talked to the owners about them and they said they initially had trouble getting the units to work, but the factory was very supportive in troubleshooting them. I think I remember the initial problem to be with mounting and catching/releasing, and the factory built them some special mounting hardware. They apparently then worked for a while and again had problems - but this time the factory was not responsive.

They do cost a lot!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 06:50   #13

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Watt & Sea Hydrogenerators

There are 7 or so boats doing the WARC with them currently. I spoke to a few owners about them in the Marquesas and all were very happy with the output after the 3000 mile crossing. A couple that had problems that seemed to be with the actual mounting. A 50'ish mono was lit up at night like a city the couple of times I saw it underway. I asked a crew member if they ran the diesel genny every night. He replied that the water genny was making more AH than they could use even running all the lights and toys. I can't imagine how crippling it was to the night vision for the person on watch! For lots of actual sailing, it seems like a simple way to make a lot of power silently 24/7. At anchorage they are just in the way on the sugar scoop. For the average Caribbean cruiser spending weeks/months in an anchorage and then only doing short hops, solar/wind would seem a much better investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 04:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
He replied that the water genny was making more AH than they could use even running all the lights and toys.
Strange story. The W&S charging unit doesn't charge at 12.8V or more, so there is never any need for switching on gear because you have too much power coming in - it simply stops providing current. And, of course, you could always lift the prop.

Onno
Old 25-09-2014, 04:43   #15

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Poorly worded on my part. They had a surplus of power so they chose not to turn anything off or try to conserve energy in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator