Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2015, 14:58   #1
F51

Shore power indicator light

My shore power inlets are nearly 30 feet of wire to the electrical panel. That doesn't meet ABYC standards, so I am preparing to install breakers in the aft cabin near the inlets (I have two 30a inlets).

Third world shore power is intermittent at best, so we wind up using our inverter almost every day. It's a pretty significant battery drain, especially if we heat a cup of tea in the microwave, so I like to get back on shore power as soon as it is available.

When I install the breakers near the inlet, I want to include a "Shore power available" light so we don't have to guess if the local electric company has restored service. Have any of you done this and how satisfied are you with the result?
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 22:10   #2

Re: Shore power indicator light

most main breakers will have it. you should also have a reverse polarity light. the boat should also have an AC volt gauge to meet ABYC

https://www.bluesea.com/products/8077/AC_Main_30A

if you want to make your own panel. it's just two 120v lights. wired to correct spot

though really to meet ABYC you now need ELCI breakers. which are a lot more money. and you'd need one for each 30a plug. if you boat is not wired right you will have a lot of issues with dual plugs and dual ELCI's though.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/810...0A_Double_Pole

also some shore power cords have a light built into the end so you know there is power when you are plugging in the boat.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shore power