Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2016, 12:56   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Planning for solar...

Due to recent lightning damage, and with the help of the insurance company, I am replacing my old Freedom model #30 inverter/charger with a new unit. This gives me the opportunity to plan ahead and install equipment that would give me an upgrade path in the future as I prepare the boat for extended cruising. I'm looking for advice on how equipment selection and other options that will simplify the addition of solar panels in the future. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
David
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 12:27   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 25
Re: Planning for solar...

I too am curious of better brands for solar panels and a wind generator? Any recommended to stay away from? It will be going on a 41' ketch with hardtop for solar along with solar above the davit as needed.
fishsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 18:09   #3

your inverter / charger will have nothing to do with adding solar panels later.

no mater what you choose you'll be adding a separate solar controller later.

magnum and victron made good inverter / chargers.

I would avoid the newer xantrax stuff.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 00:48   #4

Boat: Grampian 26

After some research I bought two mono 100w Renogy panels because they are well built and seem to be the panel of choice for a great many RV enthusiast. I chose monocrytaline because it has a reputation of working best even on overcast days without direct sunlight. However, it has since come to my attention that if you have multiple mono panels hooked up in series and a shadow falls across one of them, then it will cause the output to cease on all panels until the shadow passes. Just something to keep in mind.

A very good video (and about 30 minutes long) has this guy who has for years owned about every type of solar panel on the market. He shows and explains in detail the differences of types, and which kinds are best for particular applications.
By the way his top choice are the Renogy monocrystaline solar panels which he uses for powering his cabin.
end80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar