Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 15:30   #16

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 352 - 35ft
Re: Mastervolt WhisperGen 3500 Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
Dear Mrhigherbeing,
I have the same mastervolt gen (with 19hrs only, on a boat we recently purchased) which seems to be suffering from the same problem. I was wondering whether I could ask for some tips as to how to bypass it, as well as info regarding were to get the part. Thanks! and a happy new year.
I had endless problems with my MV Whispergen 3500 during a round the world cruise. Some of this was caused by faulty sensors. With the oil pressure one all you need to do is to disconnect both leads to the sensor and short them together. But, be aware that your oil pressure may indeed be low and the sensor may be working perfectly! Both my oil pressure and exhaust temp sensors developed faults. The exhaust temp easy to check - you should be able to keep your finger on the exhaust stub near the sensor without pain when the gen is running. If you can't the temp is too high. On my set the control panel was mounted on the generator and the vibration caused all manner of failures, once I had repaired it I made up leads to mount it away from the generator itself. Mastervolt in the UK helped me to find the spares I needed.
Good luck!
pnewns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 07:20   #17

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
Firstly, if you don't have the control panel; get one. Most auto shut downs are from low oil pressure. Change the oil. Before adding oil, remove the oil pressure sensor and clean it out with air (or replace). Second issue is overheating. I've seen where the water screen is plugged or the temp sensor is faulty and the genset shuts down. The other issues are a modified program. You'll need to have someone come out to restore the program to factory specs.
A friend in Panama is having a similar issue, generator (with masterview easy) starts, runs for a few seconds (at what appears normal speeds from his description) and then shuts down with "low oil pressure" indicator.

Shipped him a new oil pressure sensor with same result.

Tried the factory recommended bypass of disconnecting the wire to the oil pressure sensor and then shorting to ground right after the generator starts (apparently the latest version requires seeing a transition from low to high oil pressure during start sequence or it will shut down assuming the sensor is bad).

Verified that the wiring is good between the sensor and the logic board.

So far, nothing will keep it running. The system just recycles and starts up again shuting down shortly after with the low oil pressure indication.

He is stuck in Panama with the issue and I have run out of suggestions.

Any thoughts?

1) would the computer show something different for coolant temp or exhaust gas temp (in the previous unit these were all on the same circuit but this is the newer version of the generator) in the prior version we would loose the exhaust gas temp sensor every couple of years.

2) is it likely for the computer to fail and cause this type of behavior?

3) Possible fuel lift pump failure? Is there a sensor for fuel pressure it sounds like a deliberate shutdown rather than starvation.

Unfortunately I am not there to help diagnose so only working with his sailmail responses.

Thanks
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 11:39   #18

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

I have a Mastervolt 3.5KW generator on my Caliber 40 LRC. The generator fuel lift pump is not sufficient to adequately supply fuel to the generator. An auxiliary fuel pump was added to the system and must be turned on manually for the genset to run. Sounds like your generator is fuel starved.
johnfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 17:58   #19

The generator does in fact have a booster pump as part of the original installation.

Turned out to be bad capacitors in the electrical head. The computer was looking at the output, shutting down the generator, however, the low oil pressure would be the last error so that was the one displayed.

A different time the generator was in fact fuel starved because of bad fuel. Generator would not load up but would not shut down (i.e. produce about 8 amps max). Did not know where the problem was until the main engine started having trouble and chased it to a plugged fuel filter.

So, the mastervolt becomes the bird in the mineshaft!
Old 23-07-2015, 00:10   #20

New Mastervolt WhisperGen 3500 Problem

This generator is the gift that keeps on giving!!!

The generator has been shutting down for low AC voltage on a friend's boat. The boat is in Panama again and the local mechanic decided to increase the engine RPM to "fix" the problem. The voltage started at 103V, bumping up the RPM slightly at the governor brought the voltage to 107, continuing to adjust the voltage got to 115V with the AC frequency being 64hz and the engine RPM of 3840.

My concern is that bringing the RPM up to fix the voltage problem may simply be masking an underlying issue.

Anyone have insights into what might be wrong? Perhaps failing caps and the higher frequency is just enough to get them to work mostly ok for awhile?
Old 23-07-2015, 07:00   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: New Mastervolt WhisperGen 3500 Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by botanybay View Post
This generator is the gift that keeps on giving!!!

My concern is that bringing the RPM up to fix the voltage problem may simply be masking an underlying issue.

Anyone have insights into what might be wrong? Perhaps failing caps and the higher frequency is just enough to get them to work mostly ok for awhile?

Bingo!!

Unless this has an adjustable external regulator, the field cap is beginning to break down. Raising engine speed is a very temporary bandaid, but by no mean a fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 13:54   #22

Boat: PERRY 43 PASSAGEMAKER
Angry Re: Mastervolt WhisperGen 3500 Problem

I recently bought a 2006 cat with a 3500 Mastervolt whispergen, it's done 400hrs and according to the guy who sold me the boat, it did not run properly when he bought the boat 3 years ago and he couldn't find anyone to fix it.
The boat has never left Australia.
The Whispergen starts OK runs for maybe 5 minutes and "error code 16 daisy chain failure" comes up.
My research reveals that after the New Zealand earthquake wiped out the Mastervolt Whispergen factory, the company took the loot from the insurance and cleared out. Shows what little loyalty they had for everyone that had their products that were still under warranty.
One of the guys that was involved with Mastervolt Whispergen decided to capitalise on the "Whisper" name and existing customer base. He started a genset company called Whisper Generators which are actually a conventional small diesel generator and nothing like a "whispergen" which is just meant to provide heat and charge batteries. I contacted Whisper Generators and they suggested I use the Mastervolt as an anchor and buy one of their conventional generators.
To cut a long story short I can't get anyone to service my Mastervolt Whispergen, any advice would be appreciated.

Popeye
Popeye46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 01:53   #23

Mastervolt WhisperGen 3500 Problem

Mastervolt bought the generator from the same factory in the Netherlands as they are made today. The owner of Mastervolt owned also the generator factory. He kept the generator plant when he sold Mastervolt to a investment company. He has know started up a new company WhisperPower offering more or less the same products as Mastervolt do. When it comes to the generator problems I suggest you contact WhisperPower. They do know the generator much better than the Mastervolt people. All spare parts are available from WhisperPower. https://www.whisperpower.com
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 02:05   #24

My understanding of the Whispergen is that it is not a conventional diesel generator. Sure it uses diesel or kero for that matter to heat nitrogen which in turn starts a wobble plate moving this provides heating and 12 or 24 volt charging. The engine is a sterling engine. Google it.

They are still being manufactured in Europe and there are quite a few in the UK. I did find a service centre in the netherlands, emailed them, they replied in dutch but I couldn't translate the email. I found a place in the UK that sells the parts and I am yet to contact them for technical advice. Years ago I was a ships electrician and worked on the Oberon Class subs, however I 'm not smart enough for the Whispergen and I can't find anyone who is.
Next week, after a dose of spinach, I will be taking the beast apart to try and find the fault. Stay tune, I will either fix or f*** it.

Popeye
Old 22-07-2018, 02:54   #25

Red face Re: Mastervolt WhisperGen 3500 Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceansailor View Post
Mastervolt bought the generator from the same factory in the Netherlands as they are made today. The owner of Mastervolt owned also the generator factory. He kept the generator plant when he sold Mastervolt to a investment company. He has know started up a new company WhisperPower offering more or less the same products as Mastervolt do. When it comes to the generator problems I suggest you contact WhisperPower. They do know the generator much better than the Mastervolt people. All spare parts are available from WhisperPower. https://www.whisperpower.com
In a previous post I said whisper generators, you have jogged my memory, I actually contacted Whisperpower and a guy called Roy Jarvis visited my boat in February 2018 and told me that Whisperpower had nothing to do with mastervolt or Whispergen and they did not know anything about my Whispergen 3500. He then tried to sell me a diesel generator. Sorry mate either Roy Jarvis is a rogue or you have been misinformed.
Popeye
Old 22-07-2018, 04:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye46 View Post
In a previous post I said whisper generators, you have jogged my memory, I actually contacted Whisperpower and a guy called Roy Jarvis visited my boat in February 2018 and told me that Whisperpower had nothing to do with mastervolt or Whispergen and they did not know anything about my Whispergen 3500. He then tried to sell me a diesel generator. Sorry mate either Roy Jarvis is a rogue or you have been misinformed.

Popeye

Yea I was confused by your headline.

There is a Mastervolt Whisper 3500 generator. It is driven by a one cylinder Kubota.

But I guess you have the “Whispergen” that uses a Sterling engine.
That product has been discontinued for many years. Mastervolt had nothing to do with the Whispergen. I know that Victron tested it when it was new. Perhaps they had some intrest?

The advice to use it as anchor might not be so bad. I think it is very difficult to find someone who have know how about the Whispergen.
Old 27-07-2018, 06:23   #27

Quote:
Yea I was confused by your headline.

There is a Mastervolt Whisper 3500 generator. It is driven by a one cylinder Kubota.

But I guess you have the “Whispergen” that uses a Sterling engine.
That product has been discontinued for many years. Mastervolt had nothing to do with the Whispergen. I know that Victron tested it when it was new. Perhaps they had some intrest?

The advice to use it as anchor might not be so bad. I think it is very difficult to find someone who have know how about the Whispergen.
The guys in New Zealand had Whispergen factory and made the whispergen with the sterling engine under license from the Nethelands. The factory was destroyed by the New Zealand earthquake, they picked up the insurance money and started a company called Whisperpower. I hazard to guess that they have received a lot of calls from people with the Mastervolt Whispergen requiring service and they fool them into thinking the Whisperpower unit are much the same as the Whispergen. They are a crappy high revving (3500 rpm) conventional generator that sounds like a heap of panel beaters.
Incidentally Roy Jarvis, the Australian rep. was terminated (was not good at the BS) and a new guy has taken over. He is probably on this forum drumming up business try to flog imitation Whispergens. Shame on you Whisperpower.
My headline is correct, my Mastervolt Whispergen has "Mastervolt" written all over it.

Popeye
"Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practise to deceive"
Old 31-07-2018, 04:54   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye46 View Post
The guys in New Zealand had Whispergen factory and made the whispergen with the sterling engine under license from the Nethelands. The factory was destroyed by the New Zealand earthquake, they picked up the insurance money and started a company called Whisperpower. I hazard to guess that they have received a lot of calls from people with the Mastervolt Whispergen requiring service and they fool them into thinking the Whisperpower unit are much the same as the Whispergen. They are a crappy high revving (3500 rpm) conventional generator that sounds like a heap of panel beaters.

Incidentally Roy Jarvis, the Australian rep. was terminated (was not good at the BS) and a new guy has taken over. He is probably on this forum drumming up business try to flog imitation Whispergens. Shame on you Whisperpower.

My headline is correct, my Mastervolt Whispergen has "Mastervolt" written all over it.

Popeye

"Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practise to deceive"

Popey

Your post makes things even more confusing. Why would a Dutch company that license a product to a NZ company get any insurance money when the NZ company is flatten by an earthquake?
(I have never heard that it was licensed from Netherlands?)

Whispergen actually went in bankruptcy !

The fact is that the Whispergen never became a commercial successful on the marine market. In short they did not sell enough with units. It was not the greatest generator as most of the energy was wasted as heat. It was a great machine to generate hot water. As a generator it was mediocre at best. The Sterling concept was much more used in other applications.

https://everipedia.org/wiki/Applicat...irling_engine/

I do agree that the small high RPM generators are not as good as the 1500/1800 RPM ones that Whisperpower also produce.

https://www.whisperpower.com/4/5/pro...(low-rpm).html

No. I do not have any commercial interest in WhisperPower. Your post is full of BS and needs to be corrected.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:40   #29

Quote:
Popey

Your post makes things even more confusing. Why would a Dutch company that license a product to a NZ company get any insurance money when the NZ company is flatten by an earthquake?
(I have never heard that it was licensed from Netherlands?)

Whispergen actually went in bankruptcy !

The fact is that the Whispergen never became a commercial successful on the marine market. In short they did not sell enough with units. It was not the greatest generator as most of the energy was wasted as heat. It was a great machine to generate hot water. As a generator it was mediocre at best. The Sterling concept was much more used in other applications.

https://everipedia.org/wiki/Applicat...irling_engine/

I do agree that the small high RPM generators are not as good as the 1500/1800 RPM ones that Whisperpower also produce.

https://www.whisperpower.com/4/5/pro...(low-rpm).html

No. I do not have any commercial interest in WhisperPower. Your post is full of BS and needs to be corrected.

You are quite correct the Whispergen is “a great machine to generate hot Water”. It also is an efficient battery charger. It is also an efficient generator in the true sense of the word.
A generator only produces DC, an alternator, as the name suggests produces AC. The whispergen only produces DC to charge batteries only. On my boat I have a whispergen which cuts in automatically to keep the hot water hot, and also cuts in to charge the batteries with DC. Far more efficient than using AC through an invertor. Changing AC to DC to charge batteries creates considerable energy loss in the form of heat, the heat loss is proportional to the square of the current, therefore a 240volt ac to 12volt dc invertor pumping 20 amps into a battery would lose/waste 400watts of energy and that’s without considering the power factor of the alternator.Furthermore the whispergen can run on kerosine or diesel an it’s fuel to watts produced is very low compared to a motor generating set using an alternator. I also have a 6 kva onan which supplies 240ac when needed.

What pisses me off is that when whispergen New Zealand went bankrupt which coincided with the New Zealand earthquake by the way, the founder of that company started another company and decided to call it whisperpower. I needed to service my whispergen so I went online and up came whisperpower first, the online photos looked like a whispergen they even had the same cocoon. I contacted whisperpower thinking it was actually whispergen and requested a service and I sent a picture of my whispergen with the serial number and model. Whisperpower said they could help me out. When the dude turn up I showed him the whispergen and he tells me it’s a different company
and they can’t service the whispergen nobody can better off using it as an anchor. He did say he would happily sell me one of their units. I told him I would not deal with a company that abandoned it’s previous customers and kicked him off my boat.

Could’nt find any manuals online or anyone to service it untill 3 months ago. I went online and found all the manuals and advice on utube. Evidentally the parent company which I think was mastervolt sold to Victron and victron won a contact to supply the UK with 110,000 whispergens, their purpose was to backup solar systems and provide heat for the water systems which are a large power muncher on the electricity grid. They also tick the boxes for the environment.

The problem with the whispergens is they were marketed as a generator and people look for a diesel engine. They are quite simple although they do have a lot of sensors which are daisy chained and can be subject to faults. Because they are daisy chained the fault could be any of 7 sensors so all must be checked and some are in awkward positions. The end result is when you call a mechanic to service a whispergen it doesn’t get serviced

POPEYE