Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 20:31   #16

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Think about it. If a winding uses say 40 feet of wire for example. That wire needs to be threaded around the core, one loop at a time. The first loop needs to pass the full 40 feet of wire.
It's not quite that ugly, google toroid winding machines and watch the videos. The shuttles are split, mounted thru the core, then loaded with wire before the 'first loop' winding begins. The marvels of modern machinery.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 20:44   #17

Quote:
Finally, the correct way to measure the inrush is with an oscilloscope and a current transformer, not a meter.

Foggy
Sorry, I didn't explain. I have a Fluke 330 series meter with inrush capability.

From the manual....

"The 330 Series takes a large number of samples precisely at the beginning of the starting current for a 100 millisecond period and then digitally filters and processes the samples to calculate the actual starting
current."
Old 23-01-2011, 20:57   #18

Quote:
If your happy with your transformer, I'm happy. But you are incorrect as far as sizes are concerned. Transformers have what is know as an energy product that determines their sizes. It matters not if the core is square or toridal.
What I know is by comparing marine isolation transformers. Victron states they use toroid transformers, the Charles unit I mentioned does not state transformer type. The Charles unit is 6kva @ 200lbs, the Victron 7kva unit is 62lbs.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:41   #19

Boat: Chatam 50
Here is another question along the same line for someone better qualified than I to answer: I have a 50' alum. boat that will most likely never require more AC than 3.5 Kva. (no air conditioning at present) Planning on installing a multi voltage input isolation transformer (either Victron, Mastervolt or Charles) that I can use in N. America and Europe. The question is, what would be the best system to install to be able to utilize both 50 and 60 cycle options or convert all to 120, 60 cycles? There is a water heater aboard so the cycles don't matter that much for it, the fridge etc. is 12V, but there will be other appliances that cannot handle both cycles. So, a step down transformer takes care of the 120/240 issue and another $10 to $15000 which I don't want to spend would take whatever power came in and give me 120V 60 cycles. I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive but very practical solution as the boat will be in Europe for a few years then eventually back in N. American waters. The boat has a very well done 12V system aboard but the 120V needs updating so anticipating all new equipment. Solar power system already installed and a good alternator on the Kubota powered watermaker. So will need battery chargers for both cycle/power regimes unless I insert a cycle transformer in front of them but don't know the best route to obtain the goal of ease of use, reasonable cost and complete reliability. By reasonable cost I am thinking $10,000 equipment only. I'd appreciate suggestions.
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 12:43   #20

Re: Isolation Transformer to also Provide Dual Voltage Shore Power ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leee View Post
Here is another question along the same line for someone better qualified than I to answer: I have a 50' alum. boat that will most likely never require more AC than 3.5 Kva. (no air conditioning at present) Planning on installing a multi voltage input isolation transformer (either Victron, Mastervolt or Charles) that I can use in N. America and Europe. The question is, what would be the best system to install to be able to utilize both 50 and 60 cycle options or convert all to 120, 60 cycles? There is a water heater aboard so the cycles don't matter that much for it, the fridge etc. is 12V, but there will be other appliances that cannot handle both cycles. So, a step down transformer takes care of the 120/240 issue and another $10 to $15000 which I don't want to spend would take whatever power came in and give me 120V 60 cycles. I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive but very practical solution as the boat will be in Europe for a few years then eventually back in N. American waters. The boat has a very well done 12V system aboard but the 120V needs updating so anticipating all new equipment. Solar power system already installed and a good alternator on the Kubota powered watermaker. So will need battery chargers for both cycle/power regimes unless I insert a cycle transformer in front of them but don't know the best route to obtain the goal of ease of use, reasonable cost and complete reliability. By reasonable cost I am thinking $10,000 equipment only. I'd appreciate suggestions.
IMO, I don't think you'll find a 'reasonable' solution to run 120v/60hz air conditioners on 230v/50hz. Voltage step down is easy, frequency manipulation is expensive, hence not 'reasonable'.

My ac appliances are:

Water heater, it doesn't care about frequency (or voltage really)
Shore power battery charger, rated at 100-240vac 50/60hz, no problem
Air conditioners 120v 60hz or 50hz at lesser output (per the manual)
Kitchen appliances, toaster, coffee maker - can run off the inverter.
Television, DVD, computers - can run off the inverter
Old 04-03-2011, 07:25   #21

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

It is through this thread that I got my education. All very very interesting.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-21355.html
Good luck!!

Cheers,
Extemp.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:47   #22

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
It is through this thread that I got my education. All very very interesting.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-21355.html
Good luck!!

Cheers,
Extemp.
And a bit more Education here.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...her-23548.html

Cheers,
Extemp.

Tags
shore power