Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 04:09   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Is there an easy answer to the setting of the regulators for a 12 volt battery?

I have 4 - 6 volt golf cart batteries for my house 12 volt system. I am using exide flooded type.

I am using a air breeze wind generator that has an internal regulator. It is adjustable for the max charging value.

I am also using solar panels connected through a blue sky solar boost 2000e regulator. It is also adjustable for the maximum charging.

My question is, what volt value should I set the regulators?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 05:39   #2

Re: Is there an easy answer to the setting of the regulators for a 12 volt battery?

You would want to apply 14.4 volts when a charge is needed, and 13.2 volts when fully charged. I do not know how to do that with the equipment that you have.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 06:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Admiral 38 catamaran
Re: Is there an easy answer to the setting of the regulators for a 12 volt battery?

With 4 golf cart batteries I assume you have around 400-420 amp-hrs. I have 6 golf cart batteries on our boat, I have a an Air-Breeze and keep the regulator set at 14.4, there is a screw on the side to adjust the voltage. I also have 280 watts of solar run thru a Blue Sky and keep it set to 14.4. One thing to remember is the voltage displayed is not the true voltage of the batteries. To get the true voltage you would have to disconnect any load from the batteries and let them equalize for 45 min. Depending on how you are cycling your batteries you will also have to add distilled water to make sure the cells remain covered especially if you hear "bubbling" during charging.

Cheers,

Rick
makana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 10:37   #4

Actually, I have 6 also, although I have 4 isolated for the house and 2 isolated for the engine. Thank you for all of the information and the specific information using the same hardware. Dave Aloisius
Old 17-08-2015, 23:25   #5

check for the bulk or absorb voltage specs from your battery make. either on the battery or their website. it might be closer to 14.8. every battery is slightly different.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 02:21   #6

Trojan recommends 14.8.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 06:32   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See Exide's Recommendations ➥ http://www.exide.com/Media/files/Dow...0%205_9_13.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 04:03   #8

I believe I understand the definition of bulk and float charge. Bulk charge is when you are charging the battery from a low charge condition and you bring it up to the bulk setting. The float charge is the setting that the battery will be kept at after it is charged. From the exide chart, the bulk is 14.7, the float is 13.8. Now on the air breeze wind gen and the solar panel regulator, both independent, you only get the ability make one setting. So I would think you would set the wind gen and solar reg to the float rating?
Now can you set it to the bulk setting and just watch the check the water content in the battery more frequently so the you don't run low and have the batteries higher? This I think will extend the life of the batteries?

Comments, thank you

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-08-2015, 04:04   #9

Is there an easy answer to the setting of the regulators for a 12 volt battery?

Repeat from above

Tags
battery, regulator