Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2018, 09:09   #121

Re: How many Amps Hours do you use a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ip485 View Post
I ike the sound of that system.

So I understand you have the shunt shifter on the positive supply into the house batteries and another shunter system (the same Blue Seas one) on the supply to the main distribution panel.

Both shunt shifters are connected to the one meter, with a rocker switch to select which shunt is being read?

I am guessing you could have two meters and do away with the switch?

Is this the ultimate system in terms of very accurately measuring the input and output of the house bank?

It makes me wonder why there isnt a "commercial" product configured in this way which uses the the information from both shunts as it seems to me it would be more accurate that the usual stuff on the market.
Yes, you pretty much have the system down.

No reason you could not use two meters but I'm always replacing an existing analog meter and only have one hole. Easier to fit a small hole for the switch than a large hole for another meter.

As far as "ultimate system"... u funny mon!
I like and use Blue Seas stuff on a daily basis. But I'll be the first to tell you that some times "their" supplier's retail price is lower than Blue Sea's, Jobber.

Also remember that all of this equipment is mass produced with production line tolerances. And Murphy will kill you with "accumulation of tolerances"!
Before you open any of the box's, you could have a 5% to 10% error laying on your bench.

This is not lab grade equipment. Nor does it need to be.
But even if all of the parts and pieces are dead on as far as spec's, the installer can (and most likely does) cause more error to be introduced.
I.E.
Are the connectors crimped with a "real" crimper?
Were they and the connection points burnished before assembly?
Any sealant applied after wards?
Are the sense wires true twisted pair sensor wire or just twisted "speaker" wire?
And what is the twist ratio?
What is the switch rating? And I don't mean current rating.
Etc...etc..etc

As you can see, lots to get wrong.
Not your typical DIY project. Heck, quite a few ABYC Electricians don't know the right questions to ask let alone able to do it properly.

I don't know about your last question.
I personally blame the inv/charger manufactures for going cheap and installing the shunt on the neg side to save a few pennies.
But that is my own personal war.

I can think of dozens of reasons for a positive shunt and only a few for a neg one. And both of them are economics'.

Final thoughts:
I like this set up and that is the reason I recommend and have installed several of them.

Is it perfect...NO.

Is it better than some other system...Depends, If the other system delivers the requested info., in the desired format and method, then no it is not better.
If system "A" is lacking in some or all of the above... then yes, this system "MIGHT" be better.

The existing system is always going to be cheaper than my way.

As far as accuracy, we are dealing with boats here. Not rocket ships.
We don't need 0.001% accuracy. Even with 10% accuracy, who cares if your meter shows 9~11A for a 10A load.
It's still more accurate info than most have.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 11:18   #122

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

We use 25-30 amp hours from dusk till dawn. Refrigeration, water pump for showers and dish washing, mast and interior lights, DVD player. When the sun comes up the panels start covering the deficit, and in sunny climate we are back to 100% around noon. Any daytime loads - like watermaker - are covered 100% by solar panels. We have two panels 120 watts each and 315 amp hours battery bank.

I don't know what daytime usage is because the batteries never see it! Solar panels cover it.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 12:26   #123

sailjumanji - your use sounds similiar to mine.

I would be interested to know your spec in terms of battery size, charging etc and your current cruising ground.
Ip485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 14:42   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
We use 25-30 amp hours from dusk till dawn. Refrigeration, water pump for showers and dish washing, mast and interior lights, DVD player. When the sun comes up the panels start covering the deficit, and in sunny climate we are back to 100% around noon. Any daytime loads - like watermaker - are covered 100% by solar panels. We have two panels 120 watts each and 315 amp hours battery bank.

I don't know what daytime usage is because the batteries never see it! Solar panels cover it.
Is this at anchor or at sea? You must have a very well-insulated refrigerator to do this well in Texas!
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 14:48   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Is this at anchor or at sea? You must have a very well-insulated refrigerator to do this well in Texas!
At anchor. And it is probably well insulated. Same usage in Texas as in Bahamas.
Old 25-03-2018, 15:08   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ip485 View Post
sailjumanji - your use sounds similiar to mine.

I would be interested to know your spec in terms of battery size, charging etc and your current cruising ground.
Three 105 amp-hr Deka AGM Group 31 batteries. Two 120 watt Kyocera solar panels each with 8 gauge wire running to a single Blue Sky three stage MPPT controller. (Larger wire reduced voltage drop.). We cruised for four months in 2016, two of which was in Exumas. But our overnight usage was similar in Texas. Just wife and I. Big overnight usage is water pump for showers and dish washing, and refrigerator/freezer. Later draws about 5-6 amps when running, but much ofttimes is sitting dormant when overnight and lids not being opened.

Boat is currently under contract and we are trading up to a Seawind 1160 Lite new build. Solar 800 watts, 450 amp hr AGM house bank, separated Isotherm front opening refrigeration and deep freezer. It definitely will not be as efficient. Twin outboards and no generator - same as my current Seawind.
Old 25-03-2018, 15:21   #127
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Deck light is bright enough, But I do want to sleep at night,
Most of the other yachts had their nav lights on too, I wasnt Robinson Crusoe,
Tell it to the judge
Old 25-03-2018, 15:24   #128

We have an LED on the stern arch above the BBQ pit, that lights up the aft deck. We leave it on and the masthead anchor. Makes us more visible. Plus if anyone comes aboard via the stern, they are lit up.