Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2014, 16:00   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Generator Setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
Thanks everyone. This info is gold. I was under the impression that I could run the generator for about an hour or two each day and that would solve the problem. But it seems clear that I would have to run it for quite a bit longer than that.
Also. The best price for a 2kva Honda here is about $1500 & $1300 for the 1 kva plus the $350 for the Ctek 25 amp charger or more if I up it to a 50 amp which is a more suitable size.
At best it will cost me $1700. So there is my answer. I can buy additional batteries and allot of solar for that sort of money. So solar it is. I will add some pics as things progress.
No doubt I will have more questions over the next few days.
Thanks again
Jeff

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Probably a good decision Hoo Haa.

Generators (IMO) are good for the weekend warrior who will pay a little extra than a solar setup and doesn't necessarily want a huge bank - the trade is you are running the generator a lot.

The other generator use is the guy who already has it all and needs the gen to run a couple hours a day/week as back up against a cloudy spell.

If your power shortage is occasional and the wind gen covers it most of the time an upgraded solar system can likely get you where you want to be.

Keep your eye on the prize - step one is to generate your power needs daily with some high level of confidence - battery storage then becomes your "reserve." Engine charging becomes your "backup" plan.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 19:48   #32

Boat: Swarbrick 40
Re: Generator Setup.

Can anyone recommend a one stop solar shop in Sydney? Most of the company's I have found are setup for households and don't sell smaller panels.

Tags
generator