Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2016, 10:25   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: DIY ANL Fuse Block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Bad choice of cable colors.
1) I know. See "labelling".
2) You may have underestimated the variety of colours available in 2/0 and 4/0 ga. tinned marine wire this far from the sea. The only 4/0 ga. I could get on a bike within 20 miles was yellow and I had a bit left that fit that spot.
3) You'll notice how I overcame this issue, assuming I experienced a severe head injury that made me incapable of recognizing my own installation, with red or black heat shrink. The heat shrink reveals all. Sorry if that's too subtle.

The same logic pertains on my series parallel setup. Feel free to enquire if questions linger on the badness of this installation.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 10:35   #17

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Conceptually, no, although I agree the quality of the conduit on the "mock up" is a little dubious.

One concern, however, would be the careful and sufficiently beefy mounting of such a setup. That's going to be heavy just in the weight of wire, and you want no chance of any of those leads touching each other. That means the design could be improved simply by putting little HDPE/Starboard "blocks" as spacers between each power lug, so that if the cable ties or similar wire supports failed due to heavy boat movement, they could not make contact. That simple measure of "chocking" each lead also makes the likelihood of the nut loosening itself less, I would think.

I just did this job, but went with the standard Blue Sea buses:

I did, however, fab up a sub-panel for the DC main board and bilge/fridge, items that are switched.

If I'm reading those labels correctly, you have a battery switch on your negative Bus and all the wires are the Positive colour?

1. why switch the negative side?
2. why use Red for negative leads?
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 10:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
If I'm reading those labels correctly, you have a battery switch on your negative Bus and all the wires are the Positive colour?

1. why switch the negative side?
2. why use Red for negative leads?
See my answer to Deep Frz above. Red was what was available to me. The black heat shrink indicates these are ground wires. Red heat shrink=positive leads.

As for the switch, I have cutoff switches on both the positive and negative sides. Mine is a metal hull and this is prudent practice in terms of isolation (both electrical and problems!). Much of the issue is discussed in this CF thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ies-81704.html
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 24-11-2016, 11:52   #19

Boat: Catalina 387

MRBF's on a buss is a great idea. I liked the spares zip-tied to the wires too.

Only problem I see with homemade ANL's is they're not going to be ignition-protected. Doesn't matter if you don't require ignition-protected fuses. (My boat is gas, that's why it occurred to me)
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 13:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post

Only problem I see with homemade ANL's is they're not going to be ignition-protected. Doesn't matter if you don't require ignition-protected fuses. (My boat is gas, that's why it occurred to me)
That's of course correct. On my other, recently sold boat, I had an Atomic 4 gas inboard; I put the positive and negative busses in the quarterberth away from the motor.
Old 24-11-2016, 15:06   #21
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Might be good to use rubber paint to paint the negative cables black. Works great plus additional plus is it eliminates shrink tubing at the cable connection.

Run a breaker in parallel with a fuse. Add a switch. The primary breaker switch won't reset switch over to the fuse. Fuse blows you know its load side of the breaker.
Fuse doesnt blow it's the breaker.

Quick easy preplanned redundancy option.

Good luck
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 20:54   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:

Only problem I see with homemade ANL's is they're not going to be ignition-protected.
Blue Seas ANL fuses 35 to 500 amp rating are ignition protected. The larger ones are not.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 21:45   #23

Quote:

It's the fuse itself that is ip. The glass window contains the spark when it blows. I don't see why the holder would mater.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 23:19   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
It's the fuse itself that is ip. The glass window contains the spark when it blows. I don't see why the holder would mater.
The holder is open so cannot be part of the protection.
Old 25-11-2016, 06:04   #25

DIY fuse holders are ok so long as you make them out of good materials. Nothing that can melt or catch fire. Solid bus bars made from copper not stainless steel, and a cover to protect against accidental shorts.

At the end of the day it's probably cheaper to simply buy them...
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 17:31   #26

Boat: Catalina 387

Y'all are right. I stand corrected. ANL's are IP at the fuse. I was thinking about AMI / MIDI. I just recently did a powerboat and needed to put in ignition protected holders for the AMI fuses.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 12:01   #27
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

The most obvious question to the OP is "Why?"

For fuses to gain a UL, or any other rating, they are tested as a system of fuse, fuse holder and connecting conductor. What you show in the photo is great to "get home" but would be suspect if you ever had the vessel surveyed or suffered a loss with electrical implications.

BTW, the Marine Rated Battery Fuses (MRBF) mentioned in Post 12 are an excellent choice.

BTW #2, Circuit breakers used in marine applications do have an ampere interrupt capacity (AIC), contrary to the opinion in Post 8.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 12:39   #28

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I have had reason to make up a few buss bars. I never pass up an opportunity to salvage the the bronze or brass cap screws and nuts from discarded main switches for re-use. I also have 3/8" phenolic resin board for the bases.
Old 27-11-2016, 13:07   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
BTW #2, Circuit breakers used in marine applications do have an ampere interrupt capacity (AIC), contrary to the opinion in Post 8.
Yes they do, but it is lower than fuses, sometimes much lower.
Old 27-11-2016, 13:14   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post

5000A @12v AIC https://www.bluesea.com/products/714...ace_Mount_100A

7500A @ 65v (would be higher at 12v) https://www.bluesea.com/products/722...ingle_Pole_30A

abyc AIC chart

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/reso...YCexcerpts.pdf
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote