Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2014, 08:55   #1

Cal 27 Solar Power Needs

I'm trying to fix up my Cal 27's electrical system because I want to add a solar power situation. Currently, the boat has two "marine" grade batteries that really only list the cranking amps 750 and cold 600 (likely cheap batteries). The batteries are separate and run to a simple battery selector switch. I really wanted to buy a large 100W+ solar panel and hang it off the back rail, to keep them charged. I'm not running many things from these batteries... starting the motor, nav/cabin lights, vhf, stereo/speakers, bilge... etc. I'm slowly learning power stuff online but it's an uphill battle. I wouldn't mind upgrading the batteries or a battery, if needed, so I have extra power. Also, I'm trying to figure out if I should buy two controllers or a single controller with a multiple battery option (like Sunsaver Duo). Double also, where do most people buy solar panels online... amazon? ebay?I hope this makes some sense. Let me know if you have any thoughts or just want to give me a formal internet scolding? Thanks

trialbuterrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 10:57   #2

Boat: Catalina 310
Re: Cal 27 Solar Power Needs

You need to learn about Maine Sail/Compass Marine. The guy who owns Compass Marine has a great "how to" article section on his webpage. There is an article there on adding a solar panel just like you are asking.

He also posts here under the name Maine Sail. Just search for his name. Morgan's Cloud here is also really good.

Musings of Maine Sail is a featured contributor section on Sailboat Owners Forum. He has some stickey threads that will help you out quite a bit on how to manage your electrical system and how to do the upgrades.

As far as where to buy stuff, where are you located? In the states, especially on the east coast, Defender is a great source for stuff.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse
Old 19-06-2014, 08:04   #3

Re: Cal 27 Solar Power Needs

Awesome. Thanks.
trialbuterrors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, solar