Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 21:41   #1

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Air-X Wind Generator in Shutdown Mode

Hi,

I noticed today while sailing my wind generator went into overspeed shutdown.

I think it is unfortunate that it does not just brake it enough to keep it generating 400 watts exactly. At any speed of wind from 30knots to 110 knots

Is there a way to hack it to do this (modify or replace electronics ) ?

Any other wind generators on the market designed for higher wind speeds?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:51   #2

I didn't think that the air x shut itself down for overspeed. I believe the blades just flex to slow it down. If it's shutting itself down, it's probably the regulator doing it because the batteries are charged up.
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:31   #3

Boat: Any time now!
That was the original style. The new style uses some kind of 'electronic' braking to save on stress.

Quote:
Lower stress design: AIR-X limits power on the input side of the electronics by controlling the torque from the blades. The power no longer has to be dissipated by the electronics resulting in lower stress on the circuit, bearings and other materials. Furthermore, stress on wind turbines occurs primarily in high winds. Under these conditions, the electronic stall design reduces the speed to 600 rpm, thereby significantly reducing turbine and tower loading.
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:51   #4

Hi I hope somebody is still following this thread I am new to this forum and have found it helpfull reading your post re the air X. Mine has been working for two years without fault, but it startred to shut down at lower volts so i attempted to adjust the shut down voltage by turning the small screw clockwise as instructed in the handbook but unfortunatly the whole unit turned, the locking nut and I suppose the unit inside must have turned. I have oiled the adjusting screw and tightened the locking nut and adjusted the screw. Now it starts fine charges for a while but then it starts nocking off and on as if there is a lose connection inside I have checked all connections to the batteries taken the on/off switch out of the circuit and also taken the ampmeter out so ther is no fault there, has anybody any ideas to try, I have not yet had the unit in bits to look and see any advice would be very helpfull. I have considered upgrading to the new unit which is suppose to have higher output and a lot quieter.
regards Mike
Paget lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:59   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paget lady View Post
I have considered upgrading to the new unit which is suppose to have higher output and a lot quieter.
regards Mike
The newer unit, the Air Breeze, is indeed more quiet, but part of the cost of quieting things down was to drop the output from 400 watts to 200 watts.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:18   #6
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I scrapped the board and installed a bridge rectifier in its place.The boards are problematic , fragile and expensive. the bridge rectifier cost $12.95 on ebay and is overrated for the unit, I think its rated at 75 amps. Pretty easy mod. used the original brushes and made a small plate to mount the rectifier on where the board was.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 12:27   #7

Boat: Ted brewer 40
Re: Air-X Wind Generator in Shutdown Mode

Mines doing the same. Working fine. Now just shuts down
Tim francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator