Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 10:20   #1

Lagoon 420 Help, Please

we are looking at 2006 420 as a live aboard. how do the hybird engine hold up.
stxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 14:53   #2

Boat: EndeavourCat 30
Not super helpful but try the search feature between "New Posts" and "Quick Links" (not the one at the top)... and choose Google Search. They just type in "Lagoon 420" and voila. There are a host of current owners including "Octopus" and "ess105" and that have a ton of good information to pass on.

There is also a wicked long thread (71 pages and counting?) called "Lagoon 420 Owners & Fans."
talus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 18:40   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
There is also a Yahoo group specific to the 420. I initially signed up to buy one of the 420 hybrids (before hull #1 hit the water), but decided to cancel it. Nonetheless, I've kept up on the progress of the system and boat. This is because I really do find that there could be a number of significant advantages to the concept. It was how I saw it actually being implemented on this boat, and some of the other design and build issues I saw with it, that caused me to back out.

To greatly summarize, there have lots of on-going problems with the system. Lagoon has gone through a number of alterations and changes of the controller chips in the system. Some of these have led to additional problems, at least for some boats. However, to their great credit (and, I mean that), Lagoon does not seem to have stranded owners, but has continued to support the system. For your personal decision, I think one of the things you need to strongly consider is how close you are planning to stay to a dealer, for on-going support. If you're looking at long-distance voyaging to places with little or no support, then you might want to consider a conventional system that won't require that specialized knowledge and support. If, on the other hand, you'll be staying close to such a place, then it becomes more do-able. Though -- be prepared for some frustrations that no other cruisers will be able to help you with. There are many technical aspects of the system that your buddies on the dock will simply have never encountered.

As a boat, the 420 is a definite condomaran. Great living spaces and layout. It will be as comfortable a boat as a cat of that size can be. If you also want sailing performance, you will likely be disappointed. It is simply too heavy, has lots of windage, and fat hulls that won't go to windward very well.

All boats are compromises. Your own happiness with any boat will very much depend upon which compromises are important to you. Get that nailed down, first and then get a boat that best fits that set of compromises. The 420 may be exactly what you want or, it might not.

Hope this helps.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:08   #4

Thanks, that is what I was looking for! This is going to be my house we are not sailing to far from St Croix.Thank you so much for the info
Old 03-07-2009, 06:22   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
One more thing, before you pull the trigger -- although this probably goes without saying -- get a really good survey, first. Two, verify that Lagoon would continue to support you as the second owner. Seriously, I wouldn't want to be paying out of pocket for all the changes and modifications they are continuing to do.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:26   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
consider what it means that the hybrid system on some 420s are being swapped out for diesels. good liveaboard, so - so sailor.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:55   #7

Thanks everyone for the help 420 looks like a good boat, with diesels it might be a great boat.
Old 24-06-2010, 07:47   #8

I have also been following the Lagoon 420 market. Also very intrigued by the idea of electric sailing. It seems that for every HH (hybrid hater) there are a dozen who are very happy. Good luck. Hopefully I'll see ya out there.
buckybax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 07:46   #9

The majority of 420's in charter have been converted to Diesel. Charter ages a boat fast so its a good indicator of how a system will hold up long term.
sailvi767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 12:42   #10

Thx 767. Makes sense. It is a great concept though. I made my living as a musician and have learned to greatly appreciate silence. Hopefully they will continue developing the technology and along with the auto hybrid advancements we may see dependable hybrid boats soon. Thx. Bucky Baxter
buckybax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 15:32   #11

pirate

Thanks for the info, the system does have alot of bugs and coming from a automotive background i dont think it would be right for me. thanks

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420