Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 20:17   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Just signed on a new 450s!

Hello all,

I'm new to CF and this is my first post so to start I'd like to say thanks to all the posters, there's a wealth of information here (I've done lots of reading) and I've learned loads!

We are so excited and wanted to share with you guys. After an enormous amount of online research, reading reviews, getting opinions and looking at boats we went for what is our dream boat in the 450s and will start cruising next summer in the Med.

We have made our deal but we can still change things if we need to and we would value opinions at this stage from those who have already bought and know what they would do differently.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2016, 21:26   #2

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to CF and this is my first post so to start I'd like to say thanks to all the posters, there's a wealth of information here (I've done lots of reading) and I've learned loads!

We are so excited and wanted to share with you guys. After an enormous amount of online research, reading reviews, getting opinions and looking at boats we went for what is our dream boat in the 450s and will start cruising next summer in the Med.

We have made our deal but we can still change things if we need to and we would value opinions at this stage from those who have already bought and know what they would do differently.

Thanks in advance.
Congrats!

My only advice is don't over spend on options w/ factory/dealer markup unless it's really hard to add later. Sail for a while and see what you really will need. Maybe have them run wires or plumbing during the build, but reality is nothing like you imagine so save your $ for all the stuff you'll want after the first season. This is the beginning of writing checks, not the end
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, davedindubai.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:15   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Congratulation on your new L450. They are sweet Cats for sure.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:55   #5

Great choice!! Very jealous..... 450s are all I charter anymore; plenty of different "get away" spaces up top, up front and out back. Helm is well laid out, roomy and light interior. Have fun!
mjgriffin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:35   #6

Boat: Lagoon 450

We purchased a new 2015 L450, so Lagoon may have addressed these problems since. If not, you will need to address them.

1) If you purchase the Code 0 make sure you have backing plates installed under the d-rings toward the stern that the blocks will attach to. If not, the fiber glass is guaranteed to crack around the d-ring.

2) Disconnect the Lagoon installed bilge alarm and install a high water alarm and connect the bilge alarm to it. Otherwise when you run you A/C the discharged water will set off the installed alarm every 20 minutes and it will drive you crazy. The A/C water drains into the bilge.

Personnel option to think about.

1) Install a tricolor on top of the mast. The Lagoon installed deck lights ruin your night vision.

2) We installed the outside ice maker and it is completely inefficient. It's faster to make ice in trays in the salon freezer. Or buy ice locally and store it in the freezer.

3) In the owners version we chose the sofa version. In hindsight, we should have gone with the extra storage option. We rarely use the sofa because we are always storing stuff on it. The sofa looks better, but in practice you don't use it much.

4) Something to think about. Being from the US we went with the 110v. We have sailed from Les Sable d'Olonne to Costa Rica and have only plugged into 110v once (St Lucia). We had a 220v converter installed, just
in case, but we use it all the time. In hindsight, I would have gone with 220v and saved the $10,000 and space on the transformer.

Saying all of that we love our 450F and would buy another one.
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:46   #7

Boat: 1980 Aloha 34

Congrats! The L450S is my leading contender for cruising cat. Keep us posted on your impressions when you get her.
BionicT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:37   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Hi guys... congrats on your fab new purchase.

We have a Lagoon 380 and a Lagoon 450 flybridge version recently rafted up to us in a crowded Greek harbour.

Next to our boat the 450F was huge, and we had the chance to step across and have a look around. The only downside for me was the fact that you cannot see the transoms from the flybridge as you are backing onto a town quay.

Hopefully on your boat, with the lower bridge position you will be able to see where the quay is from the seat.

Also, we felt that the person at the wheel would be isolated from the guests down in the galley and in the salon.

The 450S will be on our list of options when we upgrade in 2 years time.
Haywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywoods View Post
Hi guys... congrats on your fab new purchase.

We have a Lagoon 380 and a Lagoon 450 flybridge version recently rafted up to us in a crowded Greek harbour.

Next to our boat the 450F was huge, and we had the chance to step across and have a look around. The only downside for me was the fact that you cannot see the transoms from the flybridge as you are backing onto a town quay.

Hopefully on your boat, with the lower bridge position you will be able to see where the quay is from the seat.

Also, we felt that the person at the wheel would be isolated from the guests down in the galley and in the salon.

The 450S will be on our list of options when we upgrade in 2 years time.
They say you have to use it to know what works and doesn't. Here's my experience.

1) If you are concerned about seeing the transom when stern to docking Lagoon has a video camera option ($2,000) with camera's on both sterns to view from the fly bridge chart plotter. The video is excellent. I purchased it because if I decided later I needed it, it would be too late to add. The sad truth is I never use it. I learn the distance by eye sight after a few dockings. If it's real tight I post crew on the stern corners to call out distances. Looking down at a screen is a bit uncomfortable in a tight docking situation. What would be excellent is if Lagoon could incorporate those camera's into the master cabin TV for security. You can lay in bed and investigate noises without leaving your cabin.

2) You're never isolated on the fly bridge. The fly bridge is the one place where there is great breeze and views while under way. It can seat 5/6 adults comfortably, but you never do. Everyone hangs out on the fly bridge. The aft salon can get stuffy and you can only see where you have been, so not the best place while under way. In port we are rarely in the fly bridge. All the action(food & drink) takes place between the indoor salon and the outside salon.

The fly bridge makes the Lagoon 450 what it is.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:37   #10

Wow! You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the tips. We are so excited!

Sailingforfun.
1) spot on advice and it's added to my list.
2) we are gong to add AC in the master cabin later if we need it and have noted that for when we do.

Mast light: we were lucky enough to go out on one at night and I'd noticed the reflection on the pulpits stainless. It's bad so I'll be changing that also.

Ice maker: I hadn't selected that option as it's 1900euro! I'll do some research into ice makers however, as we'd really like one.

Storage: My wife was adamant on extra storage anyway which is the main reason we didn't go for a 42. The more storage the better for her.

Power: We are brits so going for the 220v anyway.

Thanks so much for the tips.

Haywoods
Regarding reversing into a berth, we did it the other night on a S and the visibility astern is excellent. It was no trouble at all.

There's always a compromise to be made regarding fly or no fly but as it will mostly just be 2 of us we felt the S was the one for us. We still have a sun platform on the bridge deck but can also reach the boom easily. I do love the social aspect to the F tho but can't have everything.

Please keep the advice coming. I'm making notes on everything I read.
Old 06-12-2016, 13:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Wow! You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the tips. We are so excited!

Sailingforfun.
1) spot on advice and it's added to my list.
2) we are gong to add AC in the master cabin later if we need it and have noted that for when we do.

Mast light: we were lucky enough to go out on one at night and I'd noticed the reflection on the pulpits stainless. It's bad so I'll be changing that also.

Ice maker: I hadn't selected that option as it's 1900euro! I'll do some research into ice makers however, as we'd really like one.

Storage: My wife was adamant on extra storage anyway which is the main reason we didn't go for a 42. The more storage the better for her.

Power: We are brits so going for the 220v anyway.

Thanks so much for the tips.

Haywoods
Regarding reversing into a berth, we did it the other night on a S and the visibility astern is excellent. It was no trouble at all.

There's always a compromise to be made regarding fly or no fly but as it will mostly just be 2 of us we felt the S was the one for us. We still have a sun platform on the bridge deck but can also reach the boom easily. I do love the social aspect to the F tho but can't have everything.

Please keep the advice coming. I'm making notes on everything I read.
Regarding the ice maker, my wife wants to replace it with a wine cooler.
Old 06-12-2016, 13:52   #12

Congratulations Dave. My wife and I are also planning on a 450S in early 2018 and spending some time in the Med. Like you it just my wife and I and we feel the S version suits us better than the F version.

What factory fitted options have you signed up for and what do additions do you plan to fit later?
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 20:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
Congratulations Dave. My wife and I are also planning on a 450S in early 2018 and spending some time in the Med. Like you it just my wife and I and we feel the S version suits us better than the F version.

What factory fitted options have you signed up for and what do additions do you plan to fit later?

Hi John,

We've gone for a fair amount of options as we are non EU resident so taking advantage of the VAT savings as much as possible and I wanted to negotiate as much in as possible and then take options out if we want to.

Here's our big ticket items:
Comfort pack
Alpi interior
Composite Bimini
All exterior upholstery
57hp's
Folding props
Watermaker
Electric heads
Washing machine
Dishwasher (both were non negotiable with my wife)
All the electronics but not TV

I thought the genny, tender, AC, solar panals, downwind sails were all too expensive thru Lagoon so we are sourcing them elsewhere.
Old 06-12-2016, 20:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingforfun View Post
Regarding the ice maker, my wife wants to replace it with a wine cooler.

That's a good idea!
My wife wants to replace the oven. Do you know if there's space to fit a larger one?
Old 07-12-2016, 03:03   #15

Congratulations you will love your L450. Lots of info in these forums on the L450 and I continue to learn. My two favorite upgrades are aft steps (and mast front) rails and the Leisure Furl. Cheers, Dave

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481108362.491961.jpg
Views:	1218
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	137603

Name:	IMG_1481108411.012197.jpg
Views:	1354
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	137604

Name:	IMG_1481108586.006726.jpg