Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2016, 22:27   #1

Fresh water leak

Hi all,

I have a fresh water leak - only after it rains - in aft portion of my starboard hull, forward of engine bay.

After a night of heavy rain, I end up with about half a bucket of water in my bilge.

A line of paper towel in centre section of hull doesn't show ingress point, so I installed a temporary "Dam" ( clear plastic siliconed just in front of starboard engine battery). After next rain event, water aft of Dam was higher than in front, so believe rain is entering aft of my dam.

Seeking help in finding ingress point, which is a little difficult around aft bed area, as bed structure precludes laying a line of paper towel to help locate it. Walls are dry. Water heater is also dry.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Brett

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 02:56   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Fresh water leak

Hi Brett
I had some leaking around this area which turned out to be a very small hole in plastic pipe fitting it was hard to find.
If it is from rain as you say, I would check the base stanchion posts, rigging fittings in the deck, we have the aft block for the screacher sheet in that area, gas bottle storage tub, any chance you could send some photos of that area outside would give us a better idea of what else can cause the leak.
Regards
Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by feebs View Post
Hi all,

I have a fresh water leak - only after it rains - in aft portion of my starboard hull, forward of engine bay.

After a night of heavy rain, I end up with about half a bucket of water in my bilge.

A line of paper towel in centre section of hull doesn't show ingress point, so I installed a temporary "Dam" ( clear plastic siliconed just in front of starboard engine battery). After next rain event, water aft of Dam was higher than in front, so believe rain is entering aft of my dam.

Seeking help in finding ingress point, which is a little difficult around aft bed area, as bed structure precludes laying a line of paper towel to help locate it. Walls are dry. Water heater is also dry.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Brett

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-08-2016, 03:12   #3

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Fresh water leak

when washing boat, wash areas selectively. Water traces will be visible quickly, if you got so much water when rain.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water