Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 04:44   #46

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Re: Folding Props a must have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabimike View Post
Well after much research I came down to 3 props 1. Gori overdrive, ( $7,500 ) 2, max prop (never did respond but about $9,000) 3. Flexofold ($ 4,200)
I am tinkling I have traveled 13,000 miles with the ones I have and they are working fine!
Have a few other things I think I will spend my coin on at this point.
We also looked into this, and decided to stick with the fixed props for now.

I'd like, and nearly bought, Flexfold folding, but they have ended up way down the priority list vs other mods we still want to do.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:24   #47

Boat: Lagoon 450S(sold!)

Bought the factory optional folding propellers with our L450S(#97) after reading a test which concluded that they were accelerating better, less prop walk, were faster both forward and backwards and of course dragged less. Except for the cost(a fraction of the total...) I am very happy so far.
First sail out we outsailed every boat! Good fun but of course not only due to the propellers. Manouvering and top speed: Cannot really feel any difference from solid props, but to be honest we were 0,5 kn slower than another 450 on a race for the fuel pumps the other day...
When sailing, I need to put the controls in reverse for a second. Then the propellers fold and, wow, no noise! Maybe not worth the extra cost but the solid props have always annoyed me in the past. Now I am broke and happy!
tosk68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 16:12   #48

Sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing.

One negative seems to be that these factory installed the flex-prop for the SD60 do not allow the installation of a rope cutter (the ambassador one which also seems to be the only available cutter for SD60)

:-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosk68 View Post
Bought the factory optional folding propellers with our L450S(#97) after reading a test which concluded that they were accelerating better, less prop walk, were faster both forward and backwards and of course dragged less. Except for the cost(a fraction of the total...) I am very happy so far.
First sail out we outsailed every boat! Good fun but of course not only due to the propellers. Manouvering and top speed: Cannot really feel any difference from solid props, but to be honest we were 0,5 kn slower than another 450 on a race for the fuel pumps the other day...
When sailing, I need to put the controls in reverse for a second. Then the propellers fold and, wow, no noise! Maybe not worth the extra cost but the solid props have always annoyed me in the past. Now I am broke and happy!
c-reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 02:47   #49

Boat: Lagoon 380

As most of us only use one engine, when motoring in calm weather, we also get more speed/use less fuel, when we have folding props. The prop not in use folds, of course. Monohullers commenting this tread should remember, that we have 2 props in the water, and we get twice the reduction in drag, when we shift to folding props. So folding props is a must for me.
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote