Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 14:49   #1

Total Novice seeks experience in exchange for hard work in Louisiana

Hi folks. I've been reading about sailing for a long time. I think it started back with Treasure Island and in the first chapters of Count of Monte Cristo but unfortunately for me, I as born into a family of land lubers and have little to no boating experience outside of ski and bass boats.

What I'm looking for is to build up my skills and knowledge slowly so that one day I can sail the ocean! After reading and lurking on this forum for a long time, I decided maybe this was a good place to start.

I'm a 27 year old able bodied male with a drive and determination to get the job done. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I try to be a quick study.

If you sail in Louisiana and need some help fixing up your boat, I'd LOVE to help you in exchange for you teaching me how to sail. I'm not afraid of some work. I live in Baton Rouge and I'm willing to travel around the state a bit. If the arrangement works out and you need a cruising buddy for a weekend here and there or even a week or so, I can probably take off work and make that happen.

If you or someone you know thinks this arrangement could work, please contact me! Thanks,
T9k
Old 06-05-2009, 15:52   #2

Hi,just a suggestion if you can get to your local yacht club im sure you will find someone to take you out,The racing guys are always looking for crew!!
Old 06-05-2009, 17:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBound View Post
Hi,just a suggestion if you can get to your local yacht club im sure you will find someone to take you out,The racing guys are always looking for crew!!

Thanks for the suggestion OceanBound. I actually looked up some of the local yacht clubs prior to posting here and plan on contacting them. I also saw they offer some sailing instruction and ASA courses, so hopefully I can learn/network through that too. I figure if I cast a wide enough net something is bound to turn up.
Old 06-05-2009, 18:05   #4

Yeah I live in Australia,And I done a few courses and they were excellent,there were people in the course that owned a yacht and they still learned alot.

what i done was went to the club put a notice on the board that i wanted to crew and i started to get phone calls.

Just find out the days they race on and turn up someone will take you out,and when your racing you learn fast too.......lol

cheers and good luck

Tags
novice