Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 18:52   #1

skipper to sail Corsica

I've organized a sailing trip with friends to Corsica (during the start of the Tour de France), but now we have two boats and one skipper. Offering a cabin aboard a 47' mono from June 29 to July 6, for someone capable of skippering a family of six, all expenses paid except airfare. You can even bring a significant other. I can hire a local pro, but I prefer to have someone who would love to do it as a vacation rather than a local (I've found that to be too 'tour-like'), and to save them some money. For details on the trip see my page write-up:
https://sites.google.com/site/sailingtrips/home/corsica
Old 04-06-2013, 11:08   #2

Re: skipper to sail Corsica

Hi,

I am interested in this trip however, not entirely sure availability at the moment.

What is your own sailing experience. Are you all inexperienced looking for someone to take control or are you reasonably experienced but looking for someone else to do the work so that you may sit back and relax whilst enjoying family time together?

Kind regards,

Marina
Old 04-06-2013, 12:11   #3

Marina,

I do a Med charter just about every summer (Croatia, Greece, Cote d'Azur), and the Caribbean every winter, but this time I have a second yacht. We'd be sailing together, hopefully with a little friendly racing, so we'd benefit from each others experience and help with docking. The family on the second yacht is very active, and want to be hands-on. They own a motor boat, so know how to handle lines, fenders, etc. In fact, I suggested they not hire a local pro in part because when we've done this, I've found the crew becomes too complacent. They want to be part of the adventure. The father even considered a quick sailing course in order to skipper, but of course I advised against it.

I suspect you would have many volunteer helmsmen, so this would be ideal for someone who enjoys sharing their knowledge. For a hired skipper, even one who loves sailing, it's still a job. I'm hoping for someone who loves to sail and would enjoy this as a holiday. Other than the usual precautions, this is not a serious sailing trip. We plan on doing a lot of hiking and snorkeling/diving, and only sailing the NW quadrant of the island-- 3-5 hours a day. I'm bigger on experience, esp. w/Med-mooring, than certifications, but need someone who knows the difference between knowing how to sail and being a captain.

Ed
Old 05-06-2013, 02:40   #4
GLH

Hi, have read your post and am very interested. Times work perfectly for me.

I am RYA qualified (Coastal Level) + Radio. Qualified in Tenerife where the sailing is quite challenging but I dont have a huge amount of actual sailing experience. My goal is develop this over time / build miles - that said sailing together should not be a problem - especially with a "hands-on" crew.

Would be happy to give more details but this is my first communication on this site and am not sure how we take things from here??

Please let me know.

Best regards, Graeme
Old 05-06-2013, 02:49   #5

Hi there,

I'm also interested in your offer. I just spent the season in Antigua where I was Captain of a 75' ketch and did my coastal skipper. Am in England at the moment planning on doing my yachtmaster offshore, AEC, and working towards my instructional RYA qualification.
Could easily handle a week or so floating around Corsica.

Thanks,
Dean
Old 05-06-2013, 17:46   #6

Dean and Graeme,

You're right, it's probably better to send me a private message. Log in, click on my user name, then click "send message". The next step probably should be to send me your c.v. or copies of certificates, and the name and e-mail or phone of the school or a reference if you have it. Perhaps a little about what your personality and interests are.

There may be times when you'd be in a skipper role, but for the most part we'd all be on vacation. For example at the Nature Reserve, where anchoring is illegal, you and I could take turns watching the boats while the other one explores.

You should also check travel arrangements to confirm you can be there during these dates. Keep in mind that Bastia will be very busy on the 29th, as will the ferries, due to the TdF.

Ed

Tags
Corsica, sail, skipper