Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 13:12   #1

Boat: Hudson Force 50
San Diego to Hawaii in May

Hello all,

My wife has decided that she is not willing to sail to Hawaii. She did not think she gets sea sick, but during our shakedown cruise off the California coast, she found she did and she does not want to cruise anymore. But she did say I could continue cruising and she would accept that I will be gone for months and then return home for a few months to work and save money to cruise.

San Diego to Hawaii will be the first leg of a circumnavigation. I need crew for this trip. The boat is a 1973 Hudson Force 50 sailing ketch that has been through a complete retrofit. The boat carries 300 gallons of water and 300 gallons of diesel. It has a Perkins 4-236 engine and 7.3 KW genset. For communications, I have VHF with DSC inside and out, I have a Ham radio (and license), weatherfax, sat phone and even ground to air aviation radios. I have multiple GPS systems for navigation with a sextant as a backup. I have a 20 GPH watermaker. The boat has an exterior and interior helm. The boat has autopilot. The boat has RADAR. The boat has a life raft and EPIRB. The boat has three queen size beds. All systems are fully functional and she is blue water ready. She passed shakedown a few months ago and is ready to go to sea.

For this trip, I would like to find two other people to join me. I will consider a sailing couple or two men. I am certain my wife would not want me taking single women sailing, so there is no need for an unaccompanied woman to volunteer for this trip. Your sailing experience does not need to be extensive, I will need help trimming the sails, keeping the place tidy and keeping her on course. The most important task I need from crew is to maintain watch without falling asleep. I can teach you anything else that you need to know. The boat has a spare berth with a queen bed and the salon has a couch that opens to a queen bed. In theory, I could take two couples, but one couple is going to be stuck out in the open or both couples would need to “hot bunk.”

If you have some sailing experience, that would be great. If you can cook, that would be great. We do have a moderately sized freezer and refrigerator so we should eat well. What is most important, other than being able to stay awake while on watch, is to have a friendly attitude and be able to get along with others in this environment for a duration of up to three weeks.

If you want to join me for this adventure, please let me know. Food will be provided, but you will need to pay for your own transportation to and from home. When we arrive in Hawaii, you are welcome to stay on the boat for a few days while you do some sightseeing. If we all get along, you could even join me for more of the circumnavigation.

Finally, it would be great if you are from San Diego. If so, I can set aside a few weekends so that we can go sailing and get to know each other. Please feel free to e-mail me at: medicrene at yahoo.com

The Witchdoctor
Old 28-02-2013, 04:49   #2

Email sent! Looking forward to your reply!

Brian
Old 28-02-2013, 11:52   #3

Re: San Diego to Hawaii in May

e-mail sent... Hope to hear from you soon.. cheers!!!
Old 28-02-2013, 13:33   #4
JMR

Greetings,

Sent you an email in regarding our upcoming San Diego to Hawaii passage in May.

Thank you for your consideration.

Jack
Old 28-02-2013, 15:00   #5

Boat: Oyster 53

Sorry to hear about your wife getting seasick and not wanting to cruise anymore. My wife gets seasick every time we head offshore - but this passes after the third day. I know, three days of feeling nauseous and puking is still a LONG time and it is terrible but it does go away. When you have a three-week passage ahead of you three days is not really that much. We have found this to be a common situation amongst other cruisers who get sick: it takes about 2-3 days to acclimatize to the motion on the ocean.

We deal with it by having fully prepared meals for the first several days out. She doesn't feel like eating much but can hold down crackers and ginger ale. Her appetite returns gradually on the second day and by the end of the third she is almost fully recovered. I let her do whatever she likes for those three days - that means no cleaning, no cooking, no nothing down below she doesn't want to do. She tends to spend most of her time sleeping or sitting up in the cockpit (and not saying much...).

I hope your wife doesn't give it up completely. Also, there is some rough water off the coast of Cali and most cruising is actually a lot easier than what she may have experienced.

Good luck.

Dhillen
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59   #6

Boat: beneteau oceanis 46

hi my name is mario, just bought a 46 beneteau, i took the 101,103, an the coast guard safey cource. im a chef without papers , owned my own resturant & bakery for 38 yrs. wouuld like to find out when in may your leaving. will do all cooking and watch the bow. im living here in sd area. you can call me at 7604486176 lookin forward to hear from you.
Old 06-03-2013, 20:14   #7

Boat: 88 Catalina 34

What? Why not an experienced single woman... what if I am a person that just really
loves sailing... I really need a boyfriend that loves sailing and btw... you have my dream boat... thanks... offshorebrig @ hotmail.com
Old 06-03-2013, 20:16   #8

Boat: 88 Catalina 34

so I am a 7 year liveaboard on my Catalina 34... I love it so much...
Old 07-03-2013, 10:32   #9

Ready to sail. Email sent.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:58   #10

Hello all,

It looks like I have found crew for this journey. Thanks for all of the interest.

The Witchdoctor
Old 10-03-2013, 10:44   #11

Boat: Macgregor 21

Newbie here - how long do you estimate that a trip from San Diego to Hawaii will take?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:50   #12

It should take about two weeks.
Old 11-03-2013, 20:10   #13

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Medicrene, I hope you and your crew have a great trip and am sorry your spouse can't be with you for this passage. Will you be uploading a blog or stories or pictures of how your trip goes? (Or maybe you already have some pictures or stories from the shakedown cruise and fitting out?)
Old 11-03-2013, 21:11   #14

Boat: Macgregor 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Medicrene, I hope you and your crew have a great trip and am sorry your spouse can't be with you for this passage. Will you be uploading a blog or stories or pictures of how your trip goes? (Or maybe you already have some pictures or stories from the shakedown cruise and fitting out?)
Because I am "new" the site will not let me respond to your message - but I wanted to thank you for the information. I was aware of the AYC, but didn't know much about them. I looked at the link you provided and especially the classes for beginners. Appreciate it very much.
Old 11-03-2013, 21:29   #15

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

In case anyone is wondering, we've borrowed Medicrene's thread for just a bit because Flamingo can't yet message. Flamingo, my son, Gerald, sometimes helps with Arizona Sailing Foundation and youth sailing training here; he's certified with US Sailing as a dinghy sailing instructor and coach.

Tags
hawaii