Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2011, 13:09   #1

Sailboat Delivery - Tahiti to Hawaii

I am only doing some advance planning here. Just looking for general replies and suggestions.

Can anyone give me a a rough estimate for the cost to deliver a well equipped multihull from Tahiti to Hawaii?

Also, can you recommend the best seasonal time frames for making the voyage?

Thanks
Old 24-07-2011, 15:12   #2

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Re: Sailboat delivery - Tahiti to Hawaii

Without getting off my bum and doing some homework, target the end of the Northern Pacific hurricane season, maybe November/December, Go as far east as possible early on so you can lay easily once north of the equator.

Price depends a bit on the boat and crew, but I did Auckland to Brisbane on a big cat for $6k (NZ) so maybe double that, plus airfares food etc.

If you want to talk about it further email me at editor@crew.org.nz

Old 01-08-2011, 13:18   #3

Boat: Brewer 44
Re: Sailboat Delivery - Tahiti to Hawaii

Hey RedHawk! I got off my bum and did some homework for you (just kidding dana-tenacity). I was actually curious about that area as the south pacific is on our cruising itinerary.

I know you said you were just looking for "general replies" so I apologize for the detail here but according to Jimmy Cornell's "World Cruising Routes"...
Best time: April to November
Tropical storms: December to March

It then reads: "This passage is best made during the winter months of the South Pacific when there is no danger of cyclones in the vicinity of the Tuamotus. During most of this period consistent trade winds are found south of the equator. The optimum time to leave Tahiti, or any other port in the Society Islands, is between April and July, when favorable conditions are usually encountered on both sides of the equator.
On leaving Tahiti a northerly course should be steered to pass to the west of all islands in the Tuamotus. From a position in 15*S, 149*30'W, a new course should be laid to cross the equator between longitudes 145*W and 147*W. Any easting made at this stage will be an advantage later on. From Tahiti to about latitude 10*S the SE trades often blow from E or even NE, but after latitude 10*S is crossed, the trade winds are SE, so that it becomes possible to choose the best point for crossing the equator. In the longitudes the SE trades extend beyond the equator for most of the year and the doldrum belt rarely exceeds a width of 100 miles. Sometimes the doldrums are virtually nonexistent, the transit from one trade wind system to the next being quite sudden. The NE trades are normally found around latitude 10*N. The course should continue to be slightly to the east of the desired destination, both to allow for a west setting current and to arrive to windward of the Hawaiian Islands.
However tempting it might be to break the voyage in one of the Line Islands, as suggested on the reciprocal route from Hawaii to Tahiti, doing so onl the way north might be a mistake as the subsequent leg to hawaii would most probably be hard on the wind."

I hope that helps. And speaking of help, if I can help with the passage, please let me know. I have over 30 years of sailing experience and hold my USCG 100 ton Masters License and we just cruised from Chicago to Grenada over the past year. I wouldn't be able to do it for free but it would be highly discounted as I'm looking to add miles to my resume and get some Pacific experience before we cruise there as a family.

Scott

Check out our cruising blog... Windtraveler
Old 03-08-2011, 16:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: other peoples
Send a message via Skype™ to Loco Gato

If you pay my airfare from California to there and from Hawaii back, plus a few expenses, I'll do it just for more sea time. 30+ years on the Pacific, 8k mile in the past year, Oahu to Cal. Let my license lapse and need to re-new.E-mail me and I'll supply you with all the gory details!

Lynn A. Stokes
Morro Bay,Ca.
stokesla@earthlink.net
Old 03-08-2011, 17:23   #5

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
I did this passage last fall. We left Tahiti November 7th, stopped in Bora Bora, Penryn Island in the Northern Cooks and Christmas Island before making landfall in Kona. It was hard on the wind almost all the way. Not the downwind trade sailing you are used to. We were okay in a Hylas 49, but it may be a tough go in a catamaran. As suggested above, you may want to get some easting in first if you can before you leave.

Paul
Old 03-08-2011, 18:05   #6

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Did this a couple of years ago in May in a little bitty monohull. My experience was exactly as described by Jimmy Cornell - a lot of NE until near the equator, trying to get some easting so I could get upwind as far as possible to Hawaii. Actually wound up at the same longitude as Papeete at the equator... It was close hauling to the ITCZ, something a multihull would probably not enjoy. Try tacking to leave from the Tuamotos, or even better the Marquesas, break the journey up a bit...

Michael
Old 03-08-2011, 18:25   #7

Boat: Pearson Triton 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk View Post
I am only doing some advance planning here. Just looking for general replies and suggestions.

Can anyone give me a a rough estimate for the cost to deliver a well equipped multihull from Tahiti to Hawaii?

Also, can you recommend the best seasonal time frames for making the voyage?

Thanks
I would assume 200.00 a day. But, I'm guessing. Check out sail flow and the almanac for finding a good weather window. Don't know how long it takes but have fun in the planning. Sounds like fun. I am not a muti hull sailor however I am a good sailor/racer and USCG certified captain...easy going ......lettme know if you need crew...captain robin mary drummond
Old 03-08-2011, 18:42   #8

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Costs - $3 per mile, great circle distance, plus transportation and expenses, $30 to $40 per hour doing repair or maintenance to get the vessel operable (delivery people just don't care to rebuild boats before they can begin to deliver them...)
(BTW - 2402 nautical miles for me from Papeete to Hilo, Hawaii, 20 days in a 31 foot monohull.)
Michael
Old 08-08-2011, 09:01   #9

I'll crew for free if you need! Just looking to head to Hawaii or the Americas... I am in South Korea now, but can fly just about anywhere to meet you after November 7th....
Old 09-08-2011, 09:02   #10

Hi,
3000nm logged, lots of experience on big boats and would love the experience (email for a sailing resume if you want). Ill help crew assuming expenses are covered
Old 10-08-2011, 13:32   #11

Hi Redhawk

I am a professional Delivery skipper based in NZ, this passage is approx 2500 miles so , Best time is Oct-November, Probaly 15 -20 days average, I also own a Mutihull and have 200,000 mies offshore miles and have made this trip before but from NZ to Hawaii.
I will be in Papetee 4 sept 2-3 days bringing a Swan 65 back to NZ so if you want to meet let me know.

If you would like furthur info email me at crisbrodie@gmail.com.

Regards Cris
Old 10-08-2011, 21:39   #12

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

I normally quote in NZ dollars, since that's where I live, and figure it gives me a small advantage. But as the US economy sinks slowly into the............................

Old 11-08-2011, 05:47   #13

Boat: "Makani Olu" 100' 3-Masted Schooner

Howzit?

I've been sailing extensivly in Hawaii for quite some time now (100 ton Masters) on various rigs, and would be very interested in making the run from Tahiti. Keep me posted and good luck!

S
Old 19-08-2011, 09:49   #14

Hi,
My name is David Leggitt. I am looking for an adventurous boat to crew on this winter for a few months. I have a bit of experience on a 26’ sloop in the waters around Juneau, Alaska and in the Pacific coast of Panama. I have also been taking friends out on a 16’ Hobie Cat on the lakes of northern Arizona where I live and work as a seasonal wildland firefighter in the summers. I only work for half of the year so I have the rest off to make my own adventures. I have spent most of my life working and playing in the outdoors. I have experience leading river and mule packing trips into remote locations for multiple days. I can cook, I can clean, I have basic knowledge of small motors and pumps, I am Wilderness First Responder certified (an 80 hour course dealing specifically with medical emergencies in remote locations), I am confidant sailing small craft in light winds but I love the thrill of high winds and high seas and am eager to learn more. I am available after mid-October and I would like to be home for the holidays but if things are good I can skip that. I can meet you wherever you are and can contribute to costs aboard the boat. I have a valid passport and can speak passable Spanish. Give me a call at 818 939 2635 (because of my work schedule I might not respond for a week or two, but I will respond). Thanks for your time.
Cheers,
David

Tags
delivery, hawaii, sailboat, tahiti