Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2014, 08:24   #1

Newbie couple/single male - within few hours flight/drive time of Daytona Beach

I know this is a bit of a shot in the dark but I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?
My wife and I have a retirement dream of buying a boat and sailing the Caribbean and ICW up to Nova Scotia. With that being said, the only time either of us have been on a sailboat has been at a boat show. We’re taking a couple classes and I suppose we have ten years to learn but we’re really trying to get as much experience as possible over the next few years so we’re not sailing off blindly.
We were wondering if there might be any generous souls out there within a few hours’ flight (or drive) from Daytona Beach that might need some help (or just company). A 1-3 day trip would be ideal but longer passages would work for me as my schedule is a little more flexible than hers. Or if you’re cruising the ICW and plan on stopping in Daytona Beach, we would love to grab lunch/dinner/drinks and ask you a ton of questions.
I am 39 and my wife is 36. We’re both in good shape and excellent health. She is a pilot and I work for NASCAR (and to answer your next question, yes, I’m not above trading tickets/passes for your knowledge). We’re both college educated, like a variety of things (history, cooking, sports, good conversation and friends), and just genuinely like to have a good time. We would obviously pay our own travel and expenses.
Like I said, I know this is a long shot but figured we would give it a shot!
Old 17-04-2014, 19:53   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Newbie couple/single male - within few hours flight/drive time of Daytona Beach

Wish you luck with your dreams , living aboard and sailing is an incredible way of life. Were about it 3-4 years or sooner from cutting dock lines ourselfs. Best advice is go on some charters. Life aboard is not for everyone it can be tough and frustrating and very challenging yet at the same time much more re rewarding. The lows are definitely lower, stuff breaking all the time everything s costly etc etc. At the same time the he highs are much higher. Waking up in a secluded spot or offshore, the sun cresting the horizon. Dolphin and fish abound... Everything tastes better and every time you go somewhere it is more special than flying or just driving there.
Advice, charter several boats. Spend time in cramped quarters to see how you deal with it and anything you buy larger will just be all the better. Learn diesel and electrical repair. The frustration of fixing things even on new boats has made cruisers quit even before they start. If you don't enjoy working on stuff constantly it is not for you. If you get down to the keys hit us up and we can go more into detail. And yes theres several charters in Florida for sailboats.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-04-2014, 17:41   #3

Boat: 41' Cheoy Lee offshore
Re: Newbie couple/single male - within few hours flight/drive time of Daytona Beach

Hi,at the moment Im waiting for my fuel injection pump to be rebuilt,sooo if all goes well I hope to depart by next weekendish.Im currently in Stuart and heading to Annapolis and wouldnt mind some assistance.Thinking about a stopover in Charleston perhaps where you could jump ship or not. Let me know if you're interested.
DL
Old 20-04-2014, 17:52   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I’ll be in Key West most of May, sailing to Sarasota in June.. Happy to answer questions anytime!
Old 29-05-2014, 10:20   #5

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40

Kevin, If you are still seeking sailing experience, I have a beautiful Condor-40 tri in the Chesapeake and will launch her June 13. I solo sail her but welcome crew (usually one but two can work) to help explore the bay. I am a USCG captain with SAIL endorsement so I can teach you proper sailing and navigation techniques. JAZ is a racer, not a cruiser, so sleeping quarters are close to say the least but for the right folks you might be OK with that. Day sails or longer OK with me. chrislaletin@mac.com Once you experience a multihull you may change your mind on what kind of boat to consider.
Old 29-05-2014, 19:45   #6

Boat: Bristol 32

Always glad to see some good advice and Dulcesuenos was on the mark. I have lived on a few boats for long periods, try 14 years and now that I have fixed just about anything on a boat I can say what he says is all true. I am now just turning 65 this Sept. and have finally decided to quit fixing a lot of boats and focus on one a 68 Swan. One just sunk of Cape May NJ- see post on this site. Not the one I am caring for which is currently in Georgia. One of the finest boats built ever and look what happens- I am not venturing any guesses.
Get some sailing in, some days some overnights, and like they say a week or two. Ours will be for charter in the caribbean next winter. I don't think of it as exactly roughing it in a Swan. My old Bristol that I just bought on a lark before taking this job- Now thats roughing it.
Old 30-05-2014, 06:04   #7

Hi Kevin, I just put up a post on the forum looking for crew to sail up to New Orleans from Isla Mujeras to New Orleans. It would be a nice first off shore passage as trip is with wind and current - something you will learn a lot about as you guys gain experience. Boat is strong and safe with all offshore safety gear -
Looking to leave soon as possible - let me know if interested.

Steve

Stephenlthorne@gmail.com
Text - 770.722.2848
Old 01-06-2014, 12:37   #8

Sure what the heck! In departing Florida for the Exumas in late June or early July from North Florida to Lauderdale then crossing. I'm open to allowing you guys to tag along. I have a 60 foot Hatteras Motor Yacht. Call me (850)566-5453
Old 03-06-2014, 12:44   #9

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Looks like this fella made one post and disappeared. Might have been an Irish whiskey night?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:21   #10

Nope. Still here. But apparently I have no idea how to use these forums. Just realized that people have been replying and I had no clue. Thought I would be alerted when someone responded.
My bad guys... Sorry...
I do like a good Jameson and Ginger though...
Old 04-06-2014, 05:27   #11

Hey there Wondewrland. If you decide to leave in June I think we could make it. If it's early July it would have to be after the 4th. We're not allowed to take any time off when the race is in town (including the 4th). But we're good after that.
Thanks for the offer!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:36   #12

Hey Chris. Thanks for responding. If we make our way up to DC or Maryland We'll hit you up. We love the DC area so there's a good chance of that happening soon.
Thanks much!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:05   #13

Kevin-

We are anchored in Miami and are planning on sailing to Beaufort on or around June 9, 2014. Should be 4-5 days depending on wind.

Boat is a well equipped Tayana 48.

Please contact me if you are interested! If you can provide a phone number that would help as well so we can work out details quickly.

Thanks, Mike
Old 05-06-2014, 05:12   #14

Mike - Are you taking the ICW up?
Old 05-06-2014, 10:29   #15

Kevin-

Hi! This would be going outside and not up the ICW.

Cheers, Mike

Tags
single