Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2009, 10:18   #1

Arrow Need to Board Europe-Bound Ship from Panama

Hi, I found myself in Costa Rica with not a lot of money and need to get back to Europe where I live (Germany) with as little money as possible.
A friend suggested boarding a ship as crew. Whether that means a yacht or commercial vessel I am not sure.

And I guess its best to depart from Panama and that is not too far from where I am now. I can arrive anywhere in Europe, Spain, Portugal, France, etc then take a short flight back to Germany for cheap.

Any advice? I have a few hundred bucks but no experience sailing except for a few day trips. Im a 29yo American male and learn fast and easy to get along with.

Thanks
Old 25-02-2009, 10:25   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Flights are about as cheap as they have ever been now- I think it may be hard to find a yacht going there now- perhaps a ship?
GOod Luck!
Old 25-02-2009, 11:06   #3

Hmm, I guess the tradewinds are not favorable for crossing in that direction from that location yet. But to me, a ship would be fine also, as long as I get there.

So would I look for a ship in panama city also? Exactly how would I do that? Just go to the docks or something?

thanks in advance
Old 25-02-2009, 14:10   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

With no sailing experience, you won't be attractive crew (paid or unpaid) for any private vessel going across. Anyone who would take totally unqualified crew--if you found them--would either be an angel or the kind of fool you wouldn't be safe sailing with, so there's some caution to be used.

On a commercial vessel you can't be taken as paid crew without working papers, so that's out. You MIGHT be able to get a ride as supercargo or a passenger on a cargo vessel. Some travel agencies book those rides, some cargo lines might also book you directly if you contact their office. Sometimes you can also get a ride from an air courier business, where they actually pay you (not much) to fly from here to there taking their bag as your baggage. Of course, you have to be traveling light to do that, and there's lots of competition, but you might try looking for "air courier" businesses, either online or locally. If they need a one-way hop...you're in.

Tags
Panama Canal, Panama