Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2010, 13:20   #1

Need Help Sailing Out of Florida ?

Hi,

My name is Matt and I'm 22 years old. I just graduated college and am looking to gain sailing experience. I do not have a ton of experience sailing, but have been on boats my whole life. I lived on St. John in the US Virgin Islands while in high school and have traveled throughout the VI and BVIs. If you need a strong crew member who is willing to do what it takes to make your trip the best it can be, I'm your guy.

Blue Skies,

Matt
Old 28-06-2010, 18:31   #2

Matt ,
I'm looking to get my sailboat delivered from Panama City , Fl to Savanah , GA
ASAP.
Interested ?
thanks
Philippe
cloot.philippe@yahoo.com
Old 08-07-2010, 17:56   #3

Sorry Philipe,

I'm busy for the next month. If you still need help in three weeks or so, let me know. I'd like to help you out. Good luck!

Matt
Old 09-07-2010, 06:23   #4

Boat: 34 Hunter Sloop, Savvy?
Send a message via Skype™ to LeifErickson
Hi, Matt.
I have a 34' Hunter Sloop and want to take her to St. John from N Palm Beach area and hang there indefinitely. I expect to take Van Sant's thornless and can use capable hands for a safe path. Let me know.
Thanks,
Leif
Old 09-07-2010, 07:11   #5

Hi Leif,

Do you have a timeline of when you're planning to sail south? I haven't made the trip from the states to the VI, but know a little bit about the thornless path. Have you thought about using chris parker for weather? I know some people swear by this to make safe passage. Like my post said above, I really don't have a lot of experience sailing, but I learn extremely fast. I'd be happy to help if you feel comfortable in helping teach me some. Let me know. I'd certainly enjoy being back in St. John and if you haven't been there, I can show you all there is down there.
All the best,

Matt
Old 09-07-2010, 07:37   #6

Boat: 34 Hunter Sloop, Savvy?
Send a message via Skype™ to LeifErickson
Thanks, Matt.
Heading out depends on the weather. I spent the last 5+ months working on the vessel to make her seaworthy. I'd like to leave asap. I had a corporate job for 15 years and was laid off, forcing me back to the salty air. I visited the VIs last year met a bunch of honeymooners, visited bars in St. Thomas, St. John, Tortola - didn't pay for a lot of drinks.
I really need someone who can help bring the boat to the final destination. It will be a fun and adventurous trip, I just need to make sure whomever accompanies me will not abandon me along the way. I don't expect to sail the boat back to the US anytime soon, but as long as we are able to work well together, not fight over the mermaids, have your finances in order, I can ensure your safety and you can claim your bunk.
Give me a call 561 818 SAIL
Thanks,
Leif
Old 09-07-2010, 14:32   #7

Hey Leif,

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry to hear about your job, but it sounds like it was meant to be. Besides, it's better on the water than in an office! Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to leave until early August, which may be too late for you, if your want to leave asap. I completely understand your concern with people leaving mid-trip. If you still are in need of someone by August, I would be happy to make the trip with you. But, if you need to leave sooner, no hard feelings and I wish you the best of luck. Also, if I am not able to help you sail down, but you need anything while you're down in the VI, let me know. I have plenty of friends in St. John, St. Thomas, and Tortola that can offer advice or help.

Tags
florida