Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2015, 14:22   #1

Mark Johnson Resume and Cover

Hello!

Please feel free to view the version that does not require reading here:

https://youtu.be/cvyosT3fHds

And my "actual" professional resume can be found via contacting me.

SAILING/FISHING
Brief Synopsis: I grew up in Annapolis, MD during summers and throughout the year for certain events, and I stayed into boats thru college, racing for Indiana University (505, E scow), and of course kept my old Hobie 18 near-by.
A few years later after watching too much Discovery Channel, I was off to Alaska, and was a deckhand on a 6-pack charter out of Ninilchick, AK (Halibut, King), as well as Commercial Set-Neting in Kenai, AK on the "Million Dollar Mile."
I feel confident at any position on a sloop rig 12-meter and below.

[Truth]
I have a rich aunt! awesome! Every summer I've been off to Annapolis, so dad (read: poor) can make some money with no-to-little-harassment.
The Sunfish thru the Farr 44; keys throne in equal succession (though, I must note the 900 Polaris at 12 years of age is not the best idea...or the over-powered Boston Whaler for that matter), Outward Bound, Wednesday Night Races, many 3-5 day races, etc. ...and then they got divorced...sad face.

Notables:
AYC Youth

Multiple Newport /Halifax/Annapolis races (22' to 60' mostly one-design)
Indiana University, screw-off's (we thought we were so clever)
Catalina, Hunter, Hobie, owner
Chesapeake Bay Safety/Card Holder
Commercial AK Fishing (two different fisheries)

CLIMBING
Brief synopsis: I started, well, about the same time I started sailing, and have been climbing and falling out/off of things ever since.

Related: Rope Technique (Management) / Knots / Purchase Systems / Fixed Lines (ascending / descending) / Weather Systems / Emergency Procedures / First Responder / Judgement

Notables:
[Endurance/Sport] 5.13a/b Table of Colors, Left Flank, Red River Gorge, KY
[Mountaineering] 26 of the CO/CA 14ers'
[Big Wall] The Nose, El Capitan, CA (and Half-Dome Direct)
Other Notables: Gunks/Seneca/Hueco Tanks /Horse Pens 40/Arkansas/Rifle/J-Tree/Bishop

SKYDIVING / B.A.S.E.
Brief synopsis: My current love affair, anything that has to do with parachutes (or sails, wings, or kites, depending on how ya look at it). I started skydiving 3 years ago with the intention of getting a B.A.S.E. number. I have made hundreds of skydives, and completed each of the 4 objects required for B.A.S.E. and many others since!

Related: HUMILITY / Remaining calm under high-stress conditions / Judgement / Rigging / Wind/Conditions Assessment (both Micro/Macro) / Complacency Avoidance (being meticulous and redundant is imperative to a desirable outcome) / Risk-Assessment / Fluid Dynamics Modeling / Assistant Rigger (Repairs/Prototype/Experimental) / Pain Tolerance Management / Emergency Procedures / Detail Oriented / Judgement / Creating Creative Solutions

Notables:
B.-335' Lakewood, CO (completed B.A.S.E. 12/2014)
A.-410' Los Gatos, CA
S.-486' Perrine Bridge, Twin Falls, ID
E.-320ish' Echo Canyon, Moab, UT

FLYING
I currently hold a Class 3 Airmen Card and Private Pilot Licenses with 91 hours. (undercurrent...I've spent all of my time jumping out of planes "currently"). I am a proficient navigator, and am just as comfortable in front of a glass cockpit as I am with pen and stopwatch.

Related: Navigation / Weather / Communications / GPS / Emergency Procedures / Flight Planning / Bernoulli's Principle / Judgement / Backcountry Survival Skills

Notables:
70% of bush Alaska covered

DRIVING and HEAVY EQUIPMENT
I got my CDL at 22 and it has allowed me to see every part of the contiguous states, all the main attractions along the way, and Alaska too! But, I like the sea and sky... I don't belong on dry land.

Related: Safety / Judgement / Long Hours / Driving Big Things.

So, as you can see, I am not the most experienced deckhand...I concur.

However, I do feel as if I have enough background, experience, and current relatable skill sets that could be put to good and efficient use. I have a decent head, a good attitude, and I want to do well, in an environment that I should have signed up for a long time ago. And to grab another dream, to do well and make a living for a while as a generally decent sailor.

Mark G. Johnson
907-306-8015
markgenejohnson@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/paintthetape
Old 30-04-2015, 15:20   #2

Re: Mark Johnson Resume and Cover

Old 05-06-2015, 21:45   #3

Re: Mark Johnson Resume and Cover

hey, I've always felt, that people jumping out of perfectly well-functioning airplanes were abit tight, but then, there's other ways...

I am needing to sail my 33 ft Freedom from Guatemala to Jax. Fl., come Nov-Dec this year and am looking for competent help.
Give me as shout at frankeminelliatgmaildotcom, if you are interested.