Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 02:43   #1

Looking For An Adventure

I am a 21 year old British female currently based on the Costa Del Sol, Andalucia, Spain. My current job is a receptionist in a Marina though first started out as a pier hand. I have nearly 4000 NM under my belt, been on a delivery passage from Gibraltar to Croatia and was part of crew on a 120 Ft tall ship from Gibraltar to the UK at 18 as my first passage on sea. I am very eager to learn and love new challenges. I am at the stage in my life now where I want to be able to earn a living out of what I love doing, whether it be a deckhand or stewardess I want to be on the water...though I'm probably more experienced as being part of a delivery crew I do have catering knowledge from the age of 8 from working in restaurants my parents have previously owned. I am a quick learner and put 110% effort into what I do.I don't mind not being paid at first as part of a trial run.
I have STCW 95 and day skipper

If anyone could help me on my journey, I would be much appreciative.
Old 28-04-2013, 03:00   #2

Re: Looking For An Adventure

STCW95 and Day Skip are a good start.... Get a Yachtmaster cert from Dave Comer at the International Yachtmaster Academy in Ireland. Dave and his crew are fantastic and you will get the shore based knowledge you require. Flying Fish in the UK on Isle of Wight are fantastic as well and as soon as you get your practical signed off you can get your commercial endorsement! A Hostess course is invaluable so even if you are not looking for that type of work, you will know exactly what it is all about and then walk the quay side with your cv. Combine that with any miles you get on here and you will have no limit in earning potential - Get a Padi Dive Instructor cert or at least an assistant instructor cert and possibly a marine security course and you might never look for work again! Some are earning in excess of 20K in Miami with the above.... sorry I forgot to mention that is 20K per month with all expenses paid! Good luck and happy sailing..... mind the bear traps!