Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 19:27   #1

Boat: Bayfield 36, Wellcraft 190 classid
Florida to N. Carolina-help us pick a Catamaran!

Hi, my fianc'e(23) and I (31) are interested in seeing and sailing as many catamarans as possible before purchasing one. Unfortunately for us, we live in Washington and there are none available here. I have sailed many monohulls, but never been on a cat. So, we are flying off to Ft. Lauderdale to visit Grandpa and see what we can see. We are hoping someone would be nice enough to take us out on their cat so we could get a real feel for different boats' sailing characteristics. If anyone would like some company or an extra hand while we are in the area, we would love to join you!!!
In turn we would be more than to happy to provide lunch, a six pack or two of the captains favorite beverage, and a good scrub-down of the boat afterwards! We will also provide good company and a good hand for sailhandling and general crew-type chores.
We appreciate any help we can get in choosing our perfect cat.

We have been thinking our size range is a 35-40ft cruising cat that can handle some seas. We would really love to hop on anything just to gain experience though. Our schedule is very flexible and we will be hopefully making our way up the coast for some surf in N. Carolina also, so anywhere in the area would work for us... We will be arriving around Feb. 18. Any suggestions or advice is also greatly appreciated!
Thanks for your time! Ben and Kristen
Old 05-02-2008, 22:19   #2

I had a informative conversation with a charter manager who sailed, delivered, and managed several cats during his 30 year career. His favorite, in terms of bang for the buck, quality, etc. is the PDQ 36.

-Greg
Old 06-02-2008, 00:09   #3

I really want to walk through one... Sounds like they are really well built! That is high on my list, though my fiance would love to find one that has a galley-up layout. Also interested in seeing the Solaris 36, Dean 36 Privilege 39, Witness 35. Thanks for the advise!
Ben
Old 07-02-2008, 18:11   #4

You happen to be coming at the right time. The Maimi Boat Show is Feb 14-18th and the Ft. Lauderdale show is March 27-30th
Old 14-02-2008, 07:25   #5

Specifics

We plan on going to the boat show">Miami boat show, also heard about a strictly sail "floating" boat show as a part of it. I always enjoy the Seattle "boats afloat" portion much more that the real Boat Show personally. Probably a good show of what I can't afford, really! I can still look though.

I thought I would ask about a few cats in particular to see if anyone had advise or experience with...

PDQ 36

Solaris Sunstar 36 or the Sunrise 36

Witness 36

We plan on meeting up with Brokers and walking through all of these and any advise would be greatly appreciated. We will see the Sunrise in Noname Key,
1989 Solaris Sunrise 36 Boat For Sale , but am interested in the difference between these and the Sunstar, as there is one on the Pacific coast also. I have been told about some structural deficiencies in the PDQ... I think these look like a nice choice though. Hoping for some opinions! Thanks!

Ben
Old 14-02-2008, 07:51   #6

Boat: Endeavour E40
If you're going to the MIAMI INTERNATIONAL BOAT SHOW you'll want to go to BAYSIDE which is where there are a "ton" of cat's!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
Old 14-02-2008, 12:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
If you're going to the MIAMI INTERNATIONAL BOAT SHOW you'll want to go to BAYSIDE which is where there are a "ton" of cat's!
Thanks High Cotton-We will look Bayside up. Is that a seperate town? I am sure we will find it! Our boat show in Seattle had 1 lonely Catamaran...

Ben
Old 14-02-2008, 12:23   #8

Bayside is on Biscayne Blvd. in downtown Miami just south of the American Airlines Arena. Get their early and parking the Bayside parking garage is available and only $10.
Old 14-02-2008, 12:56   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Bayside is kind of like Pier 39 in S.F.
Old 15-02-2008, 03:19   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Bayside Marketplace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BAYSIDEmapdata.gif
Views:	164
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	2686  

Old 15-02-2008, 08:04   #11

Thanks-Thanks for directions! The map should help a lot. We will be there in two days!
Old 15-02-2008, 14:55   #12

Boat: Endeavour E40
benny................
just between you and I (don't tell anybody!)...

It may be possible for me to leave you FREE tickets at the "WILL CALL" window......
These tickets are VIP and would let you in ALL venues, parties, gates, broker shows, Miami Beach Convention Center and anything else going on..... AND best of all.... bathrooms !!!!

AND...... the "LAT'S AND AT'S" (Lattitudes and Attitudes Magazine) party with BOB BITCHIN is at the Bayside show...... band, celebrities, my favorite beverages, giveaways and BROADS! (DAMN..... is that how you spell BROADS?????)

How many are with you?
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
Old 15-02-2008, 17:47   #13

That sounds excellent High Cotton! I will message you pronto.

Tags
florida