Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2016, 15:42   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Experienced Sailor to Assist Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Jim, I think the skipper is coming around on this and is considering a later start. This thread may end up demonstrating the power and good of CF. It's maybe why some of us turn into a**h***s and don't leave it alone.
You know, LS, I've seen so many threads where experienced and knowledgeable folks have had their advice condemned as "nay-saying", usually by folks with little experience or knowledge. Funny how that goes...

I hope the OP appreciates the wisdom that has been offered and does change his plans.

Jim
Old 24-03-2016, 16:03   #32

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailon1 View Post
Greetings,

I am purchasing a Pearson 30 in the next few weeks and am
looking for someone to help sail her from Bay City, Saginaw Bay area
to Toledo.
I'm in line with many of the comments, except there may be some jumping to conclusions. The OP says "purchasing" in the next couple of weeks, doesn't say "sailing" in the next couple of weeks. (Looking out my window right now the idea seems pretty far-fetched.)

I'm potential crew for something like this - see http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-163050.html - and wouldn't rule it out out of hand.

But, I would want considerably more information first. As potential "crew available" I make one request to those looking for crew: Provide information.

I see "crew wanted" posts from people who have no profile, no previous posts, nothing that gives me any idea who they are, what kind of sailing they do, etc. etc. At that point I may send a PM asking for more detail or the possibility of meeting, but if that doesn't get a positive response I'm no longer interested.

Communication, folks, it's what makes the world go round.
Old 29-03-2016, 14:48   #33

I see you already have a handful of volunteers.
You can add my name.
Decades of experience, good navigator, happy to do any job.
Located in Ottawa.
Let me know if you want to take it further.
Good sailing,
M
Old 29-03-2016, 19:59   #34

Boat: Morgan OI 41 CCS

Just do not do it! Wrong time! Wrong boat Wrong conditions.
From NYC to Atlantic City under Gust NW winds and 38F I almost die at night time of hypothermia! Well prepared! Huge strong boat and I am 48 not 65. I left the boat until now and took it to Florida at the right time successfully.
So, PLEASE DO NOT DO IT! Realistically speaking the boat and conditions do not add up at all! Adventure is not like that! wait just a little more my friend! pay a nice marina and wait to cross that bridge at the right time. As I see a professional would NOT accept this job at all. Be careful if anyone does! will not be professional! Just inconsequent.

Tags
enc, novice, sail