Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 18:03   #1

Delivery Cost US East Coast to UK (or Malta)

Hi

This is only a general request, just so I can do some rough estimates on outgoings.

I may, at some time in the future, purchase a sailboat in top condition from somewhere on the east coast of the USA. Probably the lower states (as there seem to be more for sale down that way of the type I am looking at, no other reason).

It's likely to be between 27 foot (possibly a Nor'sea 27) and 33 foot (Cape Dory 33). Whatever I purchase will be in good nick, no dogs or restoration jobs.

I've done all my research on GST and taxes, duties, air con compliance etc etc., and it's still likely to be good value to sail one over.

I'm not remotely experienced enough to do such a trip (although I would happily crew if allowed). So ...

1. what is the likely delivery charge for a skipper to bring one over (not including air fares)

2. How does one deal with insurance: do I have to insure the skipper for the duration of the journey?

3. Any 'skippering' costs I'm not thinking about (I've considered additional or replacement gear for the sailboat)?

Just a general enquiry. If the costs are likely to be very high, then I'll forget it, but so far, I haven't been able to get a response from any inquiries: I guess everyone is out on the water 'delivering'.

NB: UK likely port of call, although I hear landfall at Malta reduces the GST charge to 10%

Cheers
Old 08-03-2014, 14:26   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Delivery cost US east coast to UK (or Malta)

Dear Reinhardt After a week or two you have had a lot of readers but not one response. I don't believe it is because "everyone is out on the water 'delivering'" but for other reasons. For one thing, you begin with "I may, at some time in the future, purchase a sailboat in top condition from somewhere on the east coast of the USA." That does not instill confidence that it is either worth the time to prepare an estimate or that you will actually purchase a boat...what kind? where? what time of year? Etc..etc. You have done a lot of research about other costs involved so it is not hard to get a ballpark for a professional delivery, but the big question is can you afford this boat with or without delivery costs? If delivery costs are so important (along with the other costs involved) perhaps you should save all that money and buy a boat closer to where you are. However, just to cut to the chase, consider that you will need 2 or 3 or 4 people to make what will be a trip of (how many miles? how many days? well..we don't know until you buy the boat in a certain port) but you should be able to get ballpark estimates from a simple online search and figure that the crew will likely want at least $350 to $500 per day.....plus food..plus airfare...plus liferaft, EPIRB, windvane, autopilot etc etc. And yes--you will need complete insurance. That may amount to a fairly high percentage of the purchase price. You could just put it on a ship and easily get quotes for that...but why spend all that $?? I hope this helps
Old 08-03-2014, 20:36   #3

Thanks Paul: all taken on board.

I ended up getting a good number of responses by PM as well, so I'll close this thread as well.

Cheers all.

Reinhardt
Old 09-03-2014, 07:05   #4

Boat: Bingham custom cutter rigged 35 loa 28 lod
Send a message via Skype™ to Dean Samuels

Theres a norsea 27 in good condition i seen in newburyport MA. I would be willing to deliver with you onboard.
Old 11-03-2014, 18:08   #5
cp1

bravo paul thank you.
Old 11-03-2014, 23:19   #6

Like I said, plenty of helpful and courteous replies received from a bunch of great skippers who provided detailed explanations of what increases and decreases costs. All proved to be extremely useful.

No further PM's or posts are required.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:32   #7

Re: Delivery Cost US East Coast to UK (or Malta)

We got a quote for shipping (not a crewed crossing) for around $11,000 by the time you added up all the extras. This was for a 34' by 14' catamaran.

Just an alternative.

Tags
delivery, east coast, Malta, malta