Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 01:56   #1
cruiser

17 year old looking for passage From west coast to East Australian coast

I am 17, yes, I have little experience, also yes, but I also have charisma and motivation to make me work hard, don't worry, I'm no runaway, at 17 you are legally able to leave your parents and this is what I plan to do to get there, my parents are okay with it, I jut need ti get to Australia to find my way to Melbourne to meet the girl I am engaged to, I sound ridiculous even to me, but I am dead serious, if anyone can provide me with a job, I will get a visa and meet you at the port specified, I am looking for a free-ride, or a payed ride and I will do my share of work, I am 6'4 and a large guy so I should be able to handle many strenuous tasks with instruction, I am a quick learner as well and will find my sea legs fast enough, my experience is limited to a small 1 person sailboat I was taught to sail at a camp I'm afraid but don't let the put you down, I am great with my hands, very technologically apt with the ability to build/assemble computers and stuff as it is, so anything along those lines won't be hard for me to figure out, and I am willing to learn anything that is needed for me to get there
Old 21-04-2013, 02:54   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: 17 year old looking for passage From west coast to East Australian coast

Dragontype191, welcome aboard .
I can't help you but I suggest you might like to tell us from which west coast you intend to travel from.
Presumably it is the west coast of USA but as this is an international forum, it could be the west coast from just about anyway.

By the way, just curious, have you actually meet this girl "in the flesh" so as to speak yet?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 21-04-2013, 03:30   #3

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Legally speaking, in the US, 17 years of age is still considered a minor. Some jurisdictions will allow 18 years of age as the age of majority, others 21. I am not sure what's the age of majority in Australia. Unless you're an Australia or a New Zealand citizen, getting a job there is possible but not easy. Before considering any adventure to a distant land think about this...Beauty is temporary, but brains are forever. Hint: Finishing school and getting a career should be your current goals, above all else. Good luck to your endeavors! Mauritz
Old 21-04-2013, 04:30   #4

Boat: Beneteau 323
Do you have your visa yet? The Australian visa for a prospective partner (mail order husband) requirea a ton of paperwork and costs at least US $3000.
Old 21-04-2013, 05:04   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
........I am not sure what's the age of majority in Australia. Unless you're an Australia or a New Zealand citizen, getting a job there is possible but not easy. ...........
18 and getting a temporary work visa isn't hard if you are under 26 (IIRC) - so called "backpackers visa". Can't stay forever and must change employers every so often (6 months perhaps?)
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 21-04-2013, 06:39   #6

Location: Everywhere that you want to be! "And, some that you don't!??
Boat: Boston Whaler
Send a message via AIM to UnExCorp Send a message via Skype™ to UnExCorp

Excerpt:Teknav

"Finishing school and getting a career should be your current goals, above all else!"

With this assessment, I would, partially, agree!

To that of Finishing High School -I would absolutely agree!

To that of Starting ones' carrier -It would depend on the nature of the occupation sought (One's skill level). If, your going to be that, of most any type of Doctor. Then, yes, I would be found advocating as early an entrance into that of heading for a doctoral program!

But, not everyone has/possesses the aptitude to enter into such programs, and to do the best with what God has given unto us with what to do in this life!

If, this gentleman does not invasion such an outcome as the former. Then, being found so young of age, you do have time with which to discover and fine Oneself!

Once entered into the seriousness of the pursuit of living life, strife with all manners of Debt, for the majority, is almost impossible to extract oneself -Esp. with that, of the cost of a College, or University -You may need a vehicle, Insurance, and will most certainly acquire some form of Educational debt (if not provided by that of your parents/for the most part).

So, being found at an age of 17 -Yes! do finish that of High School -But, in that brief interim, think hard of the possibilities the "you" possess!

At the end of it all: You only get one chance to "Live YOUR Life., so live it the best way that you know how/that you can!

There are MANY! whom do not go directly into that of higher learning, and peruse "their" own dreams before perusing someone else's' dream!

You will always have the time to go into that, of debt - for, it awaits us all -yes, including that, of the rich/in that, of their own form/way!

Best of luck in you endeavors!

D.T.!
Old 21-04-2013, 10:48   #7
cruiser

I already have my career going, I am a self taught graphic designer and I am graduating early from high school by summer, no I haven't met her in flesh but we talk via video chat or text chat every day, and there os no doubt in my minds about her, I do not have my visa yet but I intend to get one, either a holiday visa or a student visa so I can get a degree in graphic design (I don't need it but it will look good on my resume and make it easier to get a visa) and I was referring to the west coast of the USA to answer all your questions and concerns
Old 21-04-2013, 11:24   #8

Location: Everywhere that you want to be! "And, some that you don't!??
Boat: Boston Whaler
Send a message via AIM to UnExCorp Send a message via Skype™ to UnExCorp

Thank you for your most recent reply!

I wish you all the best, in your exploratory endeavors! "Live life, and find yourself having fun, while doing so!

I am glad too see, that you will be finishing that of High School, and that you have found yourself an occupational, with which, to explore further/All the while, following that of your own Heart!

Sincerely,

D.T.!

Tried-and-True!
Old 21-04-2013, 11:41   #9

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum.
Old 21-04-2013, 11:52   #10

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hello Dragon! Some career advice that you didn't ask for... Concentrate on getting your certification in Graphics Design. Include in your schooling the knowledge (fluency) of an engineering software, such as Auto Desk's AutoCAD. Check the want-ads online, and find out how much Graphic Designers earn per hour, and what their qualifications at that earning level. This, should give you a direction which avenue to pursue if at all. You need to be among the best, in this field. Once you get your certification, concentrate on ONE of these three areas: Medical & Pharmaceutical Graphics, Engineering Design and Architectural Design. These three fields pay well, but you must be among the best to get a job with the larger companies. You also need a plan "B", if things do not work out in Australia. This plan should be "feasible", and in your back of your mind prior to leaving to Australia. To give you an idea...pilots must plan an alternate destination just in case they can't go to their normal destination, and must have reserve fuel for the alternate destination with some additional fuel reserve beyond the alternate's. I wish you the very best to your endeavors. Let us know how things are going! Mauritz
Old 21-04-2013, 11:59   #11

Boat: Able 50

You have to be 18 to get the backpacker visa and you must land in in Australia with $5000 or more. If you qualify you get a 1 year work permit. Details here

Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)

Back to the drawing board I suspect.

If you want a student visa you have to enroll first. You need to graduate high school first. It's tough to enroll anywhere without that.
Old 21-04-2013, 12:11   #12

Boat: Beneteau 323

Glad to here you are thinking about your visa and you are finishing high school.

Follow your dreams and don't listen to the naysayers. I'm speaking from experience.

I left school at 15 with nothing... zip... but traveled the world before I was 40. Somehow I managed to have a family and save enough to buy a bluewater cruising sailboat too. Travelling teaches you independence and responsibility. Go west young man!

It's hard work, very hard, but any young man with a good brain and a strong back can do it! Follow the laws and visa rules of each country you visit and you will be just fine.
Old 21-04-2013, 12:28   #13

Boat: Owens
Welcome to the forum Dragon.

I know a young man only a couple years older than you that is leaving the States for a young lady met online in Denmark. My own son, also just a couple years older than you, lives in Italy while maintaining a relationship with a gal he hopes to marry here at home in the States.

Say this to explain to those of my generation and older whom are members here that the practice is quite common with today's youth. Most of us here are older and have difficulty relating to this current generational gap.

Study the laws and customs of your chosen new homeland well and enjoy the ride. Also study the art that is sailing and cruising here at the forum, more importantly get out and sail any opportunity ya get. Ya never know when the opportunity will present itself for that trip? It's best to be prepared in advance.

Craig
Old 21-04-2013, 17:31   #14

Boat: Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
You have to be 18 to get the backpacker visa and you must land in in Australia with $5000 or more. If you qualify you get a 1 year work permit. Details here

Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)

Back to the drawing board I suspect.

If you want a student visa you have to enroll first. You need to graduate high school first. It's tough to enroll anywhere without that.
That is far less than is required of the student visa. 18,610AUD minimum

http://www.immi.gov.au/students/whats_new.htm#vlc

Craig
Old 21-04-2013, 20:00   #15
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

Don't let anyone talk you out of your dreams,son. You have a plan, put it to work. It may take another year to make it happen, or you might get lucky. But don't stop, and don't let those who got caught in the everyday grind dissuade you from the adventure of a lifetime!

Tags
passage