Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 14:32   #1

Morgan Out Island 33 project boat

Located in Roatan Honduras. 1977 sloop. It's a personal repo. The folks I sold it to were never able to finish their project. Perkins 4.108 is rebuilt and set in place with shaft connected. Injectors and pump need overhaul, Interior is rough, but basic and clean for someone who'd like to build their own interior. Standing rigging is very good. Good Bimini. Very cheap as is, or will trade for anything reasonable. I need it out of my boat slip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat Exterior.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	54339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stateroom.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	54340  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat view.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	54341  
Old 10-02-2013, 02:36   #2

Boat: Montgomery 17
Re: Morgan Out Island 33 project boat

Howdy! I'd like some more info on the Morgan you have for sale or trade. Got current pix and equip list? Feel free to contact me at your convenience, Jim B 254-266-2366. thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:10   #3

Photos above are current but they don't show the real condition of the vessel. I'll take some photos today showing work to be done. Re equipment, I know what she had when I sold her 3 years ago, but she came home very different. I've not unfurled the sails yet, but can tell they are new and far too small to be reasonably functional. The spinnaker pole is gone, hatches broken, and you might as well assume that all equipment, navigation, radio, compass, water system, guages, hydraulic steering etc. needs to be replaced. The head was new when I sold the boat and is still functional. Same with the standing rigging and a few other items, but that is about it.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:16   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Depending on several factors, we may be able to bring the boat over here to to the Rio Dulce. If you really just need it gone, we can take it. It looks like it will sail, we can tow it up the river. We don't have the time to fix it up but will find someone here who does. We would take it on as a short adventure and sell it here in Guatemala. We have nothing to offer for the boat, all of our money is going into Thumbs Up right now. We would be looking to make some money off of this deal (just being honest) but I figure that you may have already been compensated by the previous buyer, the boat was still in your name, they abandoned it, you were liable for it so you took it back. The boat would need to have a transferable title and no major fines due to get it out of Honduras. If you are interested you can send me a private message through CF or post me a message out here in the open (I don't mind). If you are getting cash offers on it, that is fine too but if you really just want it gone, we could sail it out of there.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00   #5

I'll keep that in mind. I have good title, never received a dime as I gave the buyer (a friend) time to get it fixed for a commercial venture. No liens. I'm sort of getting over the "bad penny" depression. I'm having a couple of Roatan boat builders, both friends with whom my family has done business for many years, give me an estimate on doing the work to get her mechanicals in new condition. If I go that route I'll keep and sail her a bit and put a reasonable price tag on the boat hoping for a buyer willing to finish her out as a live-aboard or cruiser. It's costing me nothing to keep her here. I just don't want to watch her to sit and rot at my dock. I leave the island Saturday and expect to have a plan moving by then.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:52   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Sounds good! Thanks for replying. My 18 y/o son and I are very "boat handy" but are up to our elbows in projects on our catamaran. Assuming we could get the steering working. We would crew over to Roatan on another boat and show up with some basics. (chartplotter, vhf, some basic tools, extra lines, a battery and perhaps a dinghy). It is downwind to Tres Puntas, then usually almost no wind to Livingston, then a tow upriver. This is a good place for project boats. Sorry to come off as a freeloader but I figured that if you are going to end up giving it away that we might as well have our name on "the list". We spent some time on Roatan last year and are familiar with the island. It is sad to see a nice boat in disrepair but often you see them get worse and worse until someone has to be paid to take it away. I have yet to make any money on a boat deal, but I believe we could pull this off and would try to do it with minimal stress to you. My e-mail is philmaija@gmail.com
Old 10-02-2013, 14:49   #7

Appreciate it, I've done the Roatan - Rio Dulce route, not a bad sail in that direction most of the time. In fact, if you know someone will to do that route as a charter, I might be able to send them some work. See Welcome to Roatan Charter : Honduras and Belize Travel Wholesalers since 1981.
I had an offer a couple hours ago from a local carpenter who wants it as a live-aboard. Young kid, (30's) I gave him a good price, but refused to finance it. I think he is going to come up with enough money to seal a deal before I leave next week. Got another prospect tomorrow, who, if he wants it, will snap it up. He's a boat builder I've worked with before. Stay in touch.
Terry

Tags
morgan