Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 11:08   #1

Charts! LA to FL and up the East Coast Also, Solar Panel(s)

Hi!
I'm just finishing up a refit of my first boat and about to take off on a shakedown cruise. I've got a great crew assembled but we're missing a couple things. We're short on charts, and don't yet have any solar. If you have charts covering any portion of the Gulf Coast from LA to FL or FL up the East Coast to Maine I'm very interested in them. We're a bit low on funds so I probably can't afford your crisp once-used chartbook but we're happy with old charts, dirty charts, etc...
I'm also looking for a used solar panel, if you have something. Interested in any size. Cheap is nice but if it's a nice panel I can dig deeper as this is a pretty essential item for us!

Thanks!
-Paul

Oh, if you're interested you can see what all went into the refit at my blog: Sail Feed The boat is a 1975 Cape Dory 28
Old 12-04-2013, 11:54   #2

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Charts! LA to FL and up the East Coast Also, Solar Panel(s)

I'm in the same process. eBay and craigslist ads have been productive of many different charts, though you may have some challenges finding truly cheap stuff. Typical is 10-20/chartbook, 5-10 guidebook. Some of them are really old but most aren't more than 10 years or so.

I was traveling during Dania and the other fleas which happened, much to my dismay, as that's the place to come up with what you want.

Good luck. Perhaps we'll share an anchorage, though if you're starting from LA, unless you're already gone, we'll probably be ahead of you...

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Old 13-04-2013, 20:05   #3

Boat: Watkins 29'
Heading to my my boat tomorrow and will look and see if we have any charts we can part with, had some doubles but my friends picked over the collection so not sure what's there, may have a Chesapeake chart book.

Started reading your blog, looks like you had your hands full, nice work and good job on the blog. You're dad is one of my all time favorites, his books have kept me out of trouble for years.
Old 13-04-2013, 23:50   #4

Thanks guys. I may have a lead on craigslist, been trying to avoid ebay as we're leaving sooner than I trust things to arrive. I might qualify that I'm happy to pay a reasonable price for these, I just can't afford them if they're all new! I suppose Florida will be a good place to look for this stuff too.
Old 14-04-2013, 04:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by calderp View Post
Thanks guys. I may have a lead on craigslist, been trying to avoid ebay as we're leaving sooner than I trust things to arrive. I might qualify that I'm happy to pay a reasonable price for these, I just can't afford them if they're all new! I suppose Florida will be a good place to look for this stuff too.
I believe I'll have a duplicate of Cape May to Block Island; waiting for a CL shipment to arrive. I too have a departure time issue, but waiting another few days is fine when weather SHOULD be the determinant. Drop me a line skipgundlach@gmail.com about it in a few days; if you haven't gotten yours (my dupe will be a 1996) and I'll find a way to get it to you for the $20 I have in it (bought a group and haven't seen it is why the uncertainty as to whether I have a duplicate)...

FWIW, my sole experience with an eBay seller was that it arrived in a couple of days from KS to FL, so I don't know that I'd avoid it. OTOH, if you can find it next door, that trumps shipping in any case.

L8R

Skip
Old 14-04-2013, 06:57   #6

I've got extra chart books for all of FL, the Bahamas. Contact me...I'll sell'em cheap
Old 14-04-2013, 09:36   #7

Check out GrammyGloria on eBay:

grammygloria | eBay

She has several of the items of interest...

L8R

Skip
Old 19-04-2013, 15:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
I believe I'll have a duplicate of Cape May to Block Island; waiting for a CL shipment to arrive. I too have a departure time issue, but waiting another few days is fine when weather SHOULD be the determinant. Drop me a line skipgundlach@gmail.com about it in a few days; if you haven't gotten yours (my dupe will be a 1996) and I'll find a way to get it to you for the $20 I have in it (bought a group and haven't seen it is why the uncertainty as to whether I have a duplicate)...

FWIW, my sole experience with an eBay seller was that it arrived in a couple of days from KS to FL, so I don't know that I'd avoid it. OTOH, if you can find it next door, that trumps shipping in any case.

L8R

Skip
I do, indeed, have that duplicate. It's new (as in, still has the update mail-in-card), but old, in that it's 94 or thereabouts.

Do you want it for $20 sent?

L8R

Skip, pix via direct mail (skipgundlach@gmail.com) if you like

Tags
charts, panels, solar