Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2010, 20:33   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
1959 Steel Mason 30 (31)

My 1959 Mason 30 is up for sale at the moment. I am planning on launching her at Toronto in 5 weeks time, so she will be in sailaway condition by the middle of May. Please note that sailaway doesn't mean tarted up and pretty. She needs some tlc to the wood work but sails fine just as is. Currently the Galley is up for a rebuild and the coach roof needs some remedial rot repair.

She was built in 1958-59 from corten steel, fairly heavy build. The hull is plated in 3/16 as is the deck. The transom was extended in 2005 by a foot to provide an overhang to protect the rudder and to allow addition of a rudder arm for wheel steering if desired. The fore deck was resheeted, and the toerails were raised to 6 inch high with stainless stanchion bases added. A half round rubbing strake was added about a foot below the deck level. After all this was done, she was sand blasted and epoxy coated. She comes with a collapsing cradle.

The coach roof is of mahogany, and the mast and boom are of sitka spruce. The mast was given 9 coats of varnish and is in excellent shape. The boom will be revarnished this spring.

The engine is a Yanmar 3GM with about 200 hrs on her since rebuild. 20 gallon fuel tank, and a 15-20 gallon holding tank. There is no water system on board at the moment.

Electronics are very basic, being a VHF, sumlog and depth meter. Single battery but has a space for a second battery.

Sails are the main, and a furling genoa on schaeffer 1100 gear. Both are in good condition, having been checked over by the sail maker.

There are two anchors, a 25lb cqr and a british built bronze takedown hook which I don't know the name of. Anchor rode is 3/4 inch and about 125 feet long. There is some chain which can be shackled to the rode if required for more holding power.

I am asking $8,000 but am open to offers. Thats Canadian by the way so about $7870 US at the current rate. Check out the photos, better still, come see her and make me an offer.

Contact me by email at nebelung@sympatico.ca or 905-847-8153 and leave a msg. Photos and copy of 2005 survey available by email.

Thanks

Sabre
https://sabredancing.wordpress.com/
Old 24-04-2010, 19:14   #2

The boat was launched today, and should be rigged by the end of next weekend.

Sabre
Old 24-04-2010, 21:03   #3

you are not looking for a trade ru? I have a parker-dawson center cockpit that is worth about the same
Old 25-04-2010, 18:24   #4

No, its sale only. I have two boats and need to get back down to one. Sorry.

Sabre
Old 25-04-2010, 18:47   #5

Ok thanks for the reply tho. I like the idea of a steel hull although I know nothing about them. I still may be interested. If you look at this post http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f122/s8-class-drugs-37999.html#post442032
you can see my predicament..