Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 17:07   #1

Boat: Fontaine, Bahia, 46
Saildrive rotation

We have just recently purchased a Bahia 46. The original owner had changed the port prop to a Gori 2 blade folding but not the starboard one. We now want to change the starboard one as well. Does anyone have information on the rotation of the saildrives? The boat is in the US and we are currently in Australia so not so easy to visit boat to find out.
Illusionv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 01:18   #2

Boat: LAGOON 440
Re: Saildrive rotation

Hi IllusionV,
For most (if not all) catamarans, the props counter-rotate, that is one turns clockwise and the other counter-clockwise. This is done by reversing one of the gearboxes in order to cancel out prop torque. Monohulls do not have this option unless they have two motors.
An important consequence is that you need to match the propellers to their rotation. That is, the blades one side need to push the boat forward when the prop turns clockwise, and the blades on the other prop need to push the boat forward when the prop turns counter-clockwise.
You will need to find out whether the Gori you already have is a clockwise turning or counter-clockwise turning one, and order the opposite.
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 02:37   #3

Boat: Fontaine, Bahia, 46

Thanks Savana, that is what I thought should happen but it is nearly impossible to get answers from the factory. We currently a R.H. rotation so will need the left.
Again thanks for the input.
Illusionv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 04:33   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

Both of the props on our 2013 Helia with Volvo D2-40 and saildrives are left hand. I just changed out our 2 blade fixed to Flexifold 3 blade Left hand folding and so far I am very happy with the change.

Both are left hand props on our Helia.

s/v Let It Be
onthehook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 05:09   #5

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

The catamarans I am familiar with (including FP) DO NOT reverse rotation, both rotate the same. Mine use LH rotation props.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 05:14   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

On our 2009 FP Mahe 36 we are using two Volvo Penta D1-30F engines with 130S sail drives use 3 blade folding prop 17" Dia. X 12" Pitch Left Hand (Counter Clockwise) on both engines
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 07:40   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savanna View Post
Hi IllusionV,
For most (if not all) catamarans, the props counter-rotate, that is one turns clockwise and the other counter-clockwise. This is done by reversing one of the gearboxes in order to cancel out prop torque. Monohulls do not have this option unless they have two motors.
An important consequence is that you need to match the propellers to their rotation. That is, the blades one side need to push the boat forward when the prop turns clockwise, and the blades on the other prop need to push the boat forward when the prop turns counter-clockwise.
You will need to find out whether the Gori you already have is a clockwise turning or counter-clockwise turning one, and order the opposite.
I think if you replaced the first five words with " very, very few" you would have an accurate statement here. Power boats generally have counter-rotating props because of the beam. On a cat the props are much further apart thus negating the need for counter-rotation. I know Cotemar will correct me if I'm wrong..
Old 27-02-2014, 07:46   #8

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
I think if you replaced the first five words with " very, very few" you would have an accurate statement here. Power boats generally have counter-rotating props because of the beam. On a cat the props are much further apart thus negating the need for counter-rotation. I know Cotemar will correct me if I'm wrong..
It's all good 1+
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 08:15   #9

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Mine both rotate counter clockwise.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot, sail, saildrive